Router dlink-7634 Wifi connected to Auralic Aries mini
Macbook connected via Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Auralic Aries mini coaxial out to Hegel H120 DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

2500 tracks

Description of Issue

Hello,
I am using the trial period to test Roon and try different connections.

1. I can play all file types including dsd via my Auralic Aries mini and using the internal DAC and use analog intterconnect to my H120
  2. Since the Hegel H120 is now Roon Ready I try using it directly without the Auralic. Just an ethernet cable from my router to the Hegel is needed.
    It also plays all files including dsd. This seems to be the best option.
  3. If I use the Auriac Aries mini and use digital coaxial output I can play all file types except dsd. The Hegel H120 DAC is now used
    When playing dsd files I get no error message it is just silent. There is not displayed any sampling frequency in the Hegel as it should do.
    Is this a firmware issue of the Auralic Aries mini? Is there a setting in the Lightning DS software I must do? Any settings in the Roon software.

I have read other topics in this forum and some problems similiar to this was solved by using the latest firmware, but I am using the latest firmware.

Kind regards from Sweden,
Magnus

As to your main question, that is more one for either Auralic or Hegel tech support. If you are going to try and send DSD to the Hegel and use it’s DAC, you might as well let Roon convert it to PCM first, since the Hegel doesn’t play DSD natively.

IMHO, the best option would be 1. That way you are using a DAC which actually processes DSD natively into an Analog signal with the Hegel just providing amplification.

A quote from HiFi Choice review of the H120

although DSD files can be played, they are down sampled before sending them onto the converter.

Problem solved. I rebooted all equipment and now it works as intended. Dsd being converted to pcm.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.