Not able to playback Qobuz music with resolution higher than CD quality

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 operating system.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Arris TM1602A Modem
Ethernet cable to Netgear Nighthawk router
Ethernet over power line (Netgear) to DAC.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Description Of Issue
I got Roon and Qobuz a month ago with no issues but since about a week I am not able to playback any music with resolution higher than CD quality.

My internet is fast. What is the issue and how can I fix it?

Open up a new support request and fill in the form to get individual help.
The screen shot you inluded shows a CD file streaming ??

Hi @Louis_roy,

I’ve moved you posts to their own support topic, and put in headings. if you could complete the gaps that will help Roon’s support team.

Whilst waiting for them, could you try rebooting all your network equipment (modem, router, switches) and the Roon Core machine.

Did you set this in Roon’s Qobuz logon -

thank you yes i did this i also rebooted everything. i even erarased rood and reloaded it.

thank you yes i did all of this

thank you i will

Windows 10 operating system, Arris TM1602A Modem, Ethernt cable to Netgear Nighthawk router, Ethernet over power line (Netgear) to PS Audio Dac.

Given that CD stream is OK, but hires is not suggest a network bandwidth issue. So it’s a matter of tracking down where the bottleneck is.

The first areas to investigate on your system are:

1. The performance of the ISP connection
  2. The performance of the ethernet over power.

For #1 Can you play a local copy of a hires track. If it play ok then it suggests this is the troublesome area.

For #2 Are you able to hook-up the DAC via a temporary cable? If it now plays ok then suspect these units.

Let’s also tag @support for their input.

Thank you I have tried also a file that is on my computer of a Hi Rez an it does not work either.

I am not sure how to check Ethernet over power performance?

Keep in mind I was able to stream Hi Rez for the first couple of weeks (Ethernet over power). the only thing I can think of is about the same time (but I dont know for sure), there was a firmware update on the PS Audio DAC streamer…

Hi @Louis_roy,

As noted in our Networking Guide, we often recommend against the use of Ethernet Over Power adapters due to performance issues we’ve seen in the past. Often times these devices are not reliable for a stable connection.

To help understand if this is where the issue lies, can you try playing this Qobuz content to System Output of your Core machine instead of the PS Audio that is connected via EoP?

Thanks!

Thank you for your help, I think the culprit is the Ethernet over power line because I hard wired the PS Audio to the Router and it worked. This is strange because I had no issues for a couple of weeks??

1 Like

Hi @Louis_roy,

I’m glad that you were able to pinpoint the issue!

The biggest issue we tend to see with these types of networking devices is that they’re often not as reliable as a standard Ethernet connection. It might work sometimes, but others it might not. A direct Ethernet connection, on the other hand, is typically much more stable.

If possible I’d recommend continuing to use a direct Ethernet connection and if you see any issues arise from that definitely let us know, but things should work much better for you with that configuration.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.