Not All My Files Are Showing Up

Greetings,
I realize this is not a really new topic and I could kinda tell since I subscribed last July that I may be having this problem w/some albums. Today I was trying to play Michael Nyman’s soundtrack to Gattaca. The album and all files are clearly visible in my “Michael Nyman” folder on my external hard drive but the album doesn’t show in Roon. I noticed the album isn’t in Tidal either so maybe that is part of the problem. However, “info” on my music library folder according to my Mac shows 54,799 tracks, but in Roon my library is only scanning up to 47,703 tracks. I realize some may be duplicates, but clearly a great many files simply aren’t being scanned. Most of my original library is in AAC format w/later and all new additions in FLAC, Apple Lossless and lots of HiRes files from HDTracks, and the like.

My Setup: Roon Server version 102 running on a MacMini 2012 w/16GB RAM running Yosemite connected directly to a LaCie 4TB Thunderbolt Drive. The Mac is connected to a iFiMini DSD DAC w/Audioquest Cinnamon USB, Regen USB, Audioquest Jitterbugs to an Onkyo AV Receiver in “Pure Mode” w/Vandersteen Model 2’s and B&W subs x 2. It sounds great. I am also the guy who experimented w/Amarra iRC but frankly get too many pops when I play through that Zone for some reason so have been just using Roon which still sounds great…may report that problem later but wanted to try to figure it out a bit more 1st on my own as was trying HQPlayer too w/lots of issues. Main Zone w/roon plays great which I control via an iPadAir2 using RoonRemote (build 99)–awaiting App store update.

Just wanting to see how I can get Roon to “see” the rest of my files on my LaCie drive. My “Music Library” folder is under “Watched Folders” in Roon not under “Organized Folders”. I have the “iTunes Music Library” and “Music Folder” disabled. This was done primarily to prevent duplicates and the fact that I moved all the music I have ripped to the LaCie drive so don’t have anything on the MacMini drive at all except ghost downloads (I have a good two thousand or more SACDs and BluRay Audio discs I have never taken the time to rip! I use my Oppo for those so I can get multichannel sound–hence the Onkyo as opposed to a higher end integrated–but once upon a time it was their flagship receiver). Anyways, not sure if those “settings” I made initially in Roon are the problem, but didn’t want to mess things up anymore by changing things up w/o asking for “permission”! :smile:
thanks,
Doug

HI Douglasmaurer, sometimes Roon doesn’t import files if there a naming issue. Unusual characters, etc. Also, what is the format of the Gattica soundtrack?

The files are all Apple MPEG-4 files. The folder is called “Gattaca Soundtrack” and each file appears to have a similar name for example, “01 The Morrow.m4a”
Thanks
Doug

Hey @Douglasmaurer – could you upload a file or two to Dropbox (or similar) and PM me a link? If you don’t have access to Dropbox, just let me know and I can give you some instructions for uploading files directly to our server.

Once we have a file or two, we’ll be able to tell whether there’s something unique about these files or whether it’s something local to your setup.

Thanks!

Thanks, Mike. PM sent w/link to files.
Doug

Have you checked file ownership and permissions to ensure Roon is able to read the files?

Not sure how to check ownership per se, but the files are simply the rip of my CD copy of the soundtrack which i own. Granted the original rip was many years ago and was ripped for iTunes but so was most of my library so I figure if iTunes rips were the issue then I wouldnt have many files in my Roon library at all. Mike is on the case so will see what he finds out!
Thanks
Doug

Hey @Douglasmaurer – the files loaded ok for me, so I’m hoping you can try a test for me?

Can you create a new watched folder, and disable the other watched folders in your library. Then copy the album in question to the new watched folder and let me know if it imports – this will let us know whether something is going on with the current path or the watched folder, or if it’s something specific to your setup and the files.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
I did as you suggested and created a new Watched folder on the external thunderbolt drive next to the “My Library” folder which I disabled, called the new folder “Roon Test”, put the Gattaca files in there and Roon instantly imported them! So let me know what you would like to do next.
Thanks
Doug

Ok, good to know, thanks for testing.

What was the path in the original location? I’m wondering if there’s a character there preventing the scan, or if you’re getting close to the maximum path length.

Open to any ideas! You are welcome to remote in and check things out if that would help!

OK, hopefully it won’t come to that, although that’s definitely an option.

What I was looking for was the path of the album that’s not showing up, something like:

\\DISKSTATION\Downloads\Solti - Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen [FLAC]\Das Rheingold 01 [FLAC]

Can you take a look at the storage device and let me know what the path looks like? Thanks!

Not sure how to get my mac to tell me that but when i drill down to one of the files and click “Get Info”, this is what it lists for the file path/“where”: LaCie/ Music Library/Michael Nyman/Gattaca Soundtrack/01 The Morrow.m4a
Hope that helps!
Thanks
Doug

Hey @Douglasmaurer – this is definitely a strange one, thanks for your patience.

Can you move these files out of your watched folder(s) and let me know what you see when you look at Settings > Setup > Library Maintenance – how many deleted and unassociated tracks are you showing there?

If the number matches the number of tracks on this troublesome album, go ahead and clean up the library and try reimporting and let me know how it goes ok?

I removed the files from the watched test folder and library maintenance showed they had disappeared. I then did a force rescan of the main library and it still would not import the album. Somehow the search is skipping that album when it scans it in the main folder but sees it when on its own in a solitary folder. I suspect this is true for a number of other albums since the delta b/t the actual folder and the roon library is about 7K tracks. I just havent figured out which those albums are yet as i likely havrnt looked for them but did look for Gattaca and saw it was missing. Am at a loss as to why it isnt picking these tracks up. Open to any ideas or new tricks to try!
Thanks!
Doug

We’ve seen something similar in this thread. You can try to remove this folder with its sub-folder, and try to restore it from your backup.