Not possible to connect to roon

I’m very disappointed with Roon, the system cannot work. All the "Audio devices cannot seen by core laptop.
I already desintalled and installed the software, checked the net connection and it does not work!

Can you please provide some system information to help us to help you.
As per the support template.

What kind of info is needed…?

Hi @miguel_leal,

If you click on the link that @hammer provided, you will see the guidance on what’s requested.

OK, but there is a lot of info that frankly I think is not necessary. I re-installed the software in the PC which is the controller and all the devices are in the same internet and it is active. The problem is that the roon controler PC cannot see the other devices.

Regards, MLC

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    Windows 10, Roon build 884 (1.8)

• Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    Another PC Windows 10, iPhone 10, iPad Air.

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
    Only the Core PC is connected to the internet through cable Cat5. Other devices are via WiFi in the same network.

• Audio devices in use
    Meridian 218, Meridian 808.3, Meridian MC200.

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)
    Stored in a hard disc, there is around 9000 track on it. I have Tidal service too.

Hi @miguel_leal,

Interesting it’s all Meridian audio endpoints, I’ve heard of others having intermittent connection issues sometimes.

You say these are connected via WiFi, I know these devices do not support WiFi only a hardwired RJ45 connection, so I assume you have them connected to a switch and then to wireless access point. Is that correct?

What make and version of network equipment do you have?

I’ll tag @support for you but in the meantime, if you haven’t already I would suggest powering off all the audio devices, the network equipment and the Roon Core and then power them back on again staring with the network router, wait a couple of minutes and continue with then the audio devices and finally the the PC running the Roon Core

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey @miguel_leal thanks for reaching out about this issue and for providing more information about your setup, I feel like @Carl was on the right path when requesting more info about the networking portion. I will also ask that you provide us with the following information:

Could you please confirm if you were able to follow Carl’s suggestion on rebooting all devices? Did that help to bring back the Audio endpoints?

Thanks so much! Once we have this information, it will be easier for us to determine next steps.

Hello @ashley:

About rebooting the whole system, I did but the problem remains.

About the Meridian end-points: yes, they are connected to a switch through a cable (MC200, 218 and 808.3).

My network equipment is a router for the wifi and from it a switch is connected via cable to feed the end points.

The Core PC in connected via cable to the router, another PC is connected through wifi, same iPad and Iphone.
None of the audio devices are seen by the core.

Thanks you for your help!

Regards, Miguel

This sounds to me like a basic network issue. If you have the ability, log into the router you are using to determine the ip addresses for your audio endpoints then compare to the ip address your computer is assigned.

Ensure they are all on the same (identical) network/sub net. Try pinging an ip address that is assigned to one of your end points see if you can ping. You could also try using a scanner like nmap, from it’s interface enter your network like 192.168.1.1/24 (but match your network ip) this will scan your network to see if the devices are alive on the net.

Any reason why your computer is hard wired (rj45) instead of wireless? Have you tried to use wireless on your computer to see if it works?

1 Like

Hello Ronald:

a) All the equipment are connected to the same net.
b) The Core PC is connected through a wire because when it was connected with Wifi, the connection had some flashes.

Regards, Miguel

Thanks for confirming that! I am wondering if you could check to see if the firewall/antivirus are affecting this. Could you please temporarily disable the firewall and anti-virus on the Core and see if the issue persists?

If that doesn’t help, are you able to see the Meridian endpoints if you connect them directly to the router, instead of connecting them via the switch?

Hello Ashley:
I disabled the antivirus and the problem is the same. Also I reinstalled the Roon software in both computers.

Regards, Miguel

Thank you for testing that step. I wasn’t able to confirm - were you able to connect the endpoints directly to the router, making sure to bypass the switch and see if the audio devices show?

Hello Ashley, thank you for your patience on this.

I bypassed the switch in case of one end point (Meridian 218), connecting with cable the endpoint and the router, but it is not seen at the roon core.
In the case of my PC (not the roon core PC) it is connected via Wifi and also is not seen at the roon core…

Kind regards, Miguel

Thanks, Miguel! Since you are using Windows PC’s (both the Core and remote), I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Additionally, are you using a VPN?

Hello Ashley, finally my Roon is running OK.
There was a problem on the applications that were allowed to connect through the firewall of windows defender.
“Roon.exe” was not allowed for the private network, just for public network. I don’t know why.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Kind regards, Miguel

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.