Not possible to merge artists when Roon has no meta-data for one of them?

@Tony_Casey

I’ve been back on Roon for my classical music after 1.3 was released and I’m in my third week of “re-trial” now, after having not used it for classical at all for quite some time.

I had reported my experiences back in the past and have been accused of being melodramatic, but I think the main points are still valid:

There has been tremendous improvement for classical music handling with 1.3, but the general paradigm of the Roon team still seems to be that the system should be smarter than the user.
Honestly I think with classical music this is bound to fail. I just don’t believe that there will ever be even a single source of 3rd party metadata which is properly and consistently maintained and if I understand it right, Roon even tries to harmonize different metadata sources into one DB.

So I would repeat my main point from over 1,5 years ago: give the user control over metadata as an option!

Open the additional fields for composition, artist and composer (reviews, biographies, descriptions) for editing and allow the user to decide whether he want to have Roon do its magic. I still would be more than happy to pay the annual fee just to have that structure available.
At the moment I’m entering the Roon environment with a very well tagged collection and I’m constanly forced to correct things that werde not added by me in the first place.
For my feeling there is too much wizardry happening in the background, making it almost impossible to properly document how the system will react to your own metadata. I understand that lots of people like this and will be happy about it, but I think I am not.

Just my 2 cts.