Not seeing most of my audio zones and connection issues

Hello @support ,

I am having issues that just started popping up for me in the last week maybe around the time of the latest update. Roon remotes are struggling to connect and if they do none of my audio zones are showing up anymore. I’ve been running Roon for a couple of months so far and really enjoying it but as of right now it is not usable for me at all. I have tried disabling the firewall on the core and remotes and that did not work either.

My core is version 1.6 (build 401) stable (64 bit). It’s computer specs are as follows:

Headless Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I5-3470s
8 gb RAM

Remotes include:
Imac
3.3ghz
8gb RAM with RF headphones system out and occasionally run on bootcamp as well. All of this used to work. Now the zones will not show up.

Dell Latitude e6540
Eindows 110 pro 64 bit
I7-4610m
8gb ram
This one runs to a topping d10 which no longer shows up as well

The weird thing is that my iphone xs and ipad pro have no problem connecting to the core but the only audio zone visible to any of the remotes is an apple tv which I don’t even use as a zone at all.

Again. I’ve tried rebooting the core multiple times. Disabled and enabling firewall. Nothing seems to work.

If you could add in your network details, router, wired or wireless etc that will help.

Sorry about that! Router is an ASUS RT-ACRH13. Core is connected via ethernet. Remotes are wireless N to AC

You might try installing roon again on your core to see if that kicks things in .

Ok. So I did a fresh install and remotes cannot connect still. Also tried a fresh install and restore from backup with the same results.

Can you connect one of your end points with an Ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference?

Same results. Won’t connect. Updated firmware on router and still nothing. The server is serving up Plex and remote desktop no problem.

One thing that does seem to help in these situations is changing your DNS entries to point elsewhere than your ISP.
Maybe try changing your DNS provider to cloudflare at 1.1.1.1.

1. Access the router’s browser-based utility.

Open a web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1, http://192.168.0.1, http://192.168.0.2, or http://10.0.0.1 depending on the individual configuration.

2. Log into the browser-based utility.

The default username is “admin” and the default password is “admin”.

3. Choose the WAN menu under Advanced Settings on the left hand side.

4. Under WAN DNS setting, enter 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.1 into "DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 respectively.

Hello @Ryan_Davenport,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue, I have a few clarification questions:

• Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab from a Remote? It should look something like this:

• Have you verified that there is no antivirus running or firewall blocking Roon? With updates I have sometimes seen Windows Defender block Roon from being able to communicate properly, please use these instructions to check your Windows Defender settings.

• If you use one of your Roon Remotes as the Core, do your Zones show up as expected? This will tell us if we should focus more on the network or the Headless Core itself.

• @ged_hickman1 - I would not change the DNS servers just yet since this seems like a discovery issue and not really related to the main issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab from a Remote? It should look something like this:

I cannot because my remotes are no longer connecting to Roon.

Have you verified that there is no antivirus running or firewall blocking Roon? With updates I have sometimes seen Windows Defender block Roon from being able to communicate properly, please use these instructions to check your Windows Defender settings.

Roon is an allowed app of the firewall/defender of all devices I want to use as remotes. roon.exe checked with private and public also.

Ok. Breaking News. Currently the remote (imac in bootcamp) is showing me this:

But my core can see the audio zones on the remote above per below.

Can play audio from core no problem to remote zone. I mean anything. DSD, 192khz, you name it. But remote still says “waiting for remote core…” I’ve changed nothing in my router at this point.

Hi @Ryan_Davenport,

That is certainly strange that the iMac was working as an audio output but you can’t connect to it as expected otherwise. I do have some more information here though:

I have enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis. In these diagnostics I am seeing this specific error:
failed to connect An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

Upon researching this error, I am seeing that this issue has something to do with another app using ports that Roon would typically use. There are some suggested steps on this article that you can try to use and see if they will help in your case.

This type of failure would be consistent with a few ports working that allow the Roon audio aspect to function as expected but the Roon GUI aspect to fail to connect, so I think this is what could be going on here. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Sorry to waste your time. I got everything up and running by reinstalling the remote client on all the remotes. Good as new. Thanks!

Update 2: Clients were connecting this morning but audiozones disappeared again. Followed the instructions on the link you provided and decided to shut down my VPN (PIA.) That seemed to work.

What ports do I need to make available to Roon?

Hi @Ryan_Davenport,

Glad to hear that the source of the issue was the VPN! Just so you’re aware, VPNs can cause some issues when using Roon because of the way that Roon is designed, it is best not to have the VPN active at the same time as Roon is in use.

The ports that Roon may change in the future so I can’t specify what exact ports will always be in use, but on a properly functioning network with no VPN active you should be good to go :+1:. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread since we found the source of the issue but if you have any other questions don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.