Since I have updated the software on the Sonicorbiter SE, I now have to reboot it everytime I turn on my DAC. I don’t know where the issue comes from (RoonReady update, Roon update, or something else), just it started with the last update about 1 week ago.
Also since the update during playback it may just randomly stop.
After updating my Roon setup to 1.3 build 259 and updating Sonore Microrendu 2.5 to latest packages a week ago I started getting rare pauses during playback. Looking into Roon logs I found that Roon loses connection to MR during playback with following messages:
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] => Disconnected
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] lost client connection. Retrying
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] connecting (attempt 1)
09/02 19:08:58 Info: [transport] destroyed zone Sonore microRendu was playing? False
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [Sonore microRendu] [zone] Suspend
09/02 19:08:58 Warn: [raat_ll/client] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] failed to connect Connection refused
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] => Connecting
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] => ConnectionFailed
09/02 19:08:58 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:44735] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms
09/02 19:09:00 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:46309] connecting (attempt 4)
09/02 19:09:00 Trace: [raat] [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:46309] => Connecting
09/02 19:09:00 Trace: [Sonore microRendu @ 192.168.1.89:46309] [raatclient] Initializing RAAT session
So connection drop and restores within several seconds. This behaviour is hard to reproduce - I can play for a while without any problem. No other dropouts during playback. My setup is following:
1.Roon Core 1.3 (build 259) on Mac OS X 10.11.4, Mac Mini 2011 Core i7 2.7 Hz, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive, 5671 tracks.
2. Sonore Microrendu 2.5, Roon Ready 1.1.21
3. Netgear GS 205 switch, standard Cat 5e ethernet cables.
4. Bryston BDA-3 DAC
Nothing has changed in my setup for several months - except updating Roon and MR software. Please help to solve this issue.
Same issue here with my Sonicorbiter SE since the latest updates.
I wonder if this is a Sonicorbiter 2.5 or Roon issue. Perhaps @Jesus_Rodriguez can help ?
The Sonicorbiter SE can only use version 2.3. There was an update to the RoonReady app and maybe that could be the issue?
Dear @support, can you take a look into this issue? What confuses me is that Roon used 44735 port when disconnected and reconnects on 46309 port. Is this a normal behaviour?
Not sure if I’m having the same problem you guys are or not. However since I updated the software on the microrendu as well as several updates to roon since then I have Complete loss of play back not that infrequently. Primarily it seems to happen when I’m trying to up sample to DSD or play native DSD tracks. Not only does roon stop playing, but the only way to get roon back playing music again is to reboot the microRendu. I literally have to unplug it plug it back in and then all is well. Just rebooting it from the find my rendu weblink wont suffice–i have to pull the LPS-1 power supply out and plug it back in! I don’t even tried up sample to DSD now I just up sample of 380 for PCM. Not sure what is going on but since software has changed on both, I dont know which is the culprit.
@anon94274355 / @vladimirkl / @Douglasmaurer ---- Thank you all for your continued feedback, the insight is very appreciated!
Moving forward, we are going to check out the latest update by Sonore in house and see if we experience the same behavior(s) being reported. Once we have a better understanding of what is “going on” I will be sure to share our thoughts/findings ASAP.
Hi @vladimirkl and @Douglasmaurer ----- Thank you for your patience here and my apologies for the slow response.
Moving forward, I wanted to touch base with you to see if any new observations or progress has been made here. We touched base with Jesus, concerning this behavior and he mentioned that nothing has changed that should be affecting the behavior of the MicorRendu. We’ve had no issues on our end the MR.
I don’t experience connection issues anymore - probably they disappeared after some update. There were updates to both Roon and Sonicorbiter since I reported issue. And I cannot report on Microrendu anymore as I just migrated to Signature Rendu. This was planned and not related to issue