Notify on New Recordings

Great idea. It would be useful not only for Tidal but also for release in physical format (Cd, Vinyl …)
It would be nice that Roon created a sort of magazine to browse (updated in real-time, or issues with fixed deadline, always available, like a real magazine) with news on the preferred artists, upcoming album releases, upcoming dates of tours …
I believe that the main difficulties may be the resources…

Was about to post a feature request for notifications of followed artists new releases and came across this thread which seems to be in need of re-invigoration… :slight_smile:

….long winded way of saying +1!

I’d like this too.

I guess the lack of comment by anyone from anyone from Roon anytime since the OP, would indicate that it’s of no interest at all, sadly.

Its a firm +1 from me, but alas I don’t think it’ll see the light of day this decade nor the next.

Not due to a lack of comment but I would like features like these very much. In fact anything with more “live” metadata like album releases, newsfeeds, recommendations etc would be a next step up imho.

I often wonder if Feature Requests go into the proverbial Bottomless Pit

Especially the ones about Classical Stuff

Mike

1 Like

First, I haven’t seen anyone respond here who knows enough about how new music content gets published to have an opinion about how difficult this might be.

Second, I, for one, would pay a bit more on a monthly basis, to have this type of update information. It would be like paying for a music magazine subscription but where the content of that magazine was specifically tailored for me by virtue of the music choices I had already made in Roon and was presented to me as additional content when I opened the Roon application. For starters, it might need to be limited to 25 or so artists we “favorited” so that the amount of new content isn’t unlimited in scale.

Could be an interesting crossover business that generated revenue for Roon, sold more downloads and concert tickets, etc.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say I’m turning into a bit of a Negative Nelly on such things. The forum’s great for general chat and music stuff, sharing tips, helping others find their way, etc, but for feature requests it’s all become a bit of a black hole :frowning:

I can’t see it being anything other than +ve for the likes of Tidal either, as it inherently means more plays of Tidal tracks!

+1
:clap: :clap:

Couldn’t agree more, so another +1, for what it’s worth! In my opinion all part of the much desired UI/UX upgrade to balance and future proof Roon. That next step up indeed.

Awesome idea. I’d really dig that

1 Like

+1
one of the big missings in Roon at the moment

A bit of a harsh comment I think. Roon have indicated that there will be a major upgrade to the UI so hopefully many of the requested features will appear then. I think a lot of people are getting a bit bored with the look/functionality of Roon and I am sure the Roon people know this and are working on it.

Jumbuck,

The only reason I’m being harsh, as you consider it, is because I want there to be a growing movement to push Roon forward. A sort of cruel to be kind approach. IMHO there’s a bit too much of this “the Rapture is coming” mentality on these pages AND a loud negative/luddite side which is really frustrating to read.

Moreover, there’s a difference between UI and UX and the OP’s suggestion here falls into the latter. UI tweaks and revisions should be secondary to UX development, IMHO, debugging or fixing “broken” or half working features like the Radio or Focus on Similar aside.

A real push for fresh new user experience is essential to differentiate from and stay ahead of the competition and to encourage fresh expansion and to entice whole new markets.

IMHO…We all need to be pushing for new development, not change necessarily for change’s sake.

We have had DSP, MQA, Chromecast, etcetera, etcetera… but UI/UX? Classical metadata handling? Box set handling? As I’ve been whining about before in other threads, it’s all about balance… balance… Nice, all this technical fetishism, but there are Roon customers who payed as much as the audiophiles but experience little improvement.

Waiting for serious UI improvements for more than a year now. My guess: because acquiring new customers is the only priority. Not a smart move in the long run, I think. Is Roon that desperately in need of new customers/capital? Sorry, it’s Friday evening :wink:

1 Like

The Tidal app (at least on Mac and AppleTV) now does a BETTER job than Roon of recommending albums and directing me to new music by my favorite artists. This is really an area where Roon needs to catch up and, hopeful, move beyond.

2 Likes

A calendar of releases (and, ideally, where to buy them from) for all artists in a users’ library would be nice indeed. Lidarr does the calendar part, but it isn’t exactly geared towards supporting artists.

This would be not so easy. Which release date you want to see? The UK, france, germany, russia, china, … release?

You could of course make that a preference, and yeah, unless there’s a metadata provider with the info (musicbrainz seems to have it, and it’s localized, not sure about discogs), quite a bit of work keeping the DB up to date.