Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk

Feel-good soulful house!

Produced by ‘Masters at Work’ royalty and a couple of legends on vocals - wow.

Make sure you listen to the right remix.

1 Like

Gorgeous new duet

1 Like

It pains me to be in this place, but I’ve gone to Spotify to listen to these suggestions. It is just TOO painful to try and find music with Roon and search. It’s so nice to just type in what you want and have the music right there. With Roon it seems like a chess match.
Example:
Roon search “Ride Baker Boy”, suggestion The Fabulous Baker Boys
Spotify search “Ride Baker Boy”, boom, the track I want.
It’s not like you can’t find it eventually in Roon with all kinds of convolutions. But getting what you want right away on the first try seems like luxury.

1 Like

Dude, I’ve been feeling your pain and writing about it since 2016. There is no way back then, I would believe you if you said it would still be so painful in 2021. Quintessential first world problems of course.

Hilarious. I’ll be fair to Roon’s search feature in this case though… It’s possible the track isn’t there yet.

I haven’t checked because anytime I mention a ‘new track’ on a Friday to Sunday, don’t bother searching in Roon till Monday :cry:

:smile:

2 Likes

Old School

Chuck Brown

3 Likes

Eargasms.

Featuring the bloodline of R&B royalty - daughter of Ernie Isley, niece of Ronald Isley (and the rest of the The Isley Brothers of course :smile: )

2 Likes

One of the best young R&B artists out here.

1 Like

Wow - nice…looking forward to hearing this. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Soulful house

Can you separate the artist from the art? It depends on the crime. I love R Kelly’s iconic music but I decided not to listen to it anymore.

In Sweden, the most popular rap artist (ganster rap) , Yasin, is detained for kidnapping another very popular rap artist. The same Yasin was awarded as the most popular artist 2020 last week and the discussion is if he should have been nominated at all due the allegations. Gangster rap artists with a criminal gangster background is “accepted” and more legit.
Not in France though, only family friendly rap music is accepted, that’s what I heard.

2 Likes

A lot of Kellz music has so much sentimental value to me. Especially his self titled album and the double album “R.” came out during a great relationship I was in and I have great memories of that time. The music and lyrics of those 2 albums transports me to that time and I don’t really think of R. Kelly (the person) when I listen to those albums. I think of the relationship and life at that time.

The Aaliyah album is verry different for me because he wrote and produced the entire thing and is singing background vocals on very adult tracks being sung by a very young teenager and all the rumours about their relationship and her age. My brain can’t separate anything with that album specifically.

Is it only allegations at this stage?

The ‘cancel MJ’ thing didn’t last very long here after that Wade Robson doco came out. Initially the radio stations did ban him here and everywhere but later the credibility of the allegations came into question and then people said, well MJ isn’t really around anymore to defend himself, and so the the cancel MJ ended pretty quickly.

I guess Kellz hasn’t been convicted yet, so there is a possibility he’s proven to be not guilty (again). Let’s see how it plays out.

I definitely respect however people want to approach “Can you separate the artist from the art?” though. There’s no straight forward right or wrong way to approach it. So many things involved, and each case will be different too.

But I completely get what @jmvdv says too.

I can listen to rap music with violent lyrics but most of the time I’m not really thinking about or even listening to the lyrics, I’m usually focused on the music/production. I kind of zone out to lyrics. Same with some explicit R&B songs too. Quite often I’m just zoned into the music, production and especially melodies.

This is a problem when I have young nieces/nephews around, sometimes I forget that other people actually do focus on lyrics :smile:

He’s not French but you just reminded me it’s been a while since I listened to Stromae :smile:

1 Like

Cool stations @Mark_O_Grady - listening to Mi-House now

Great soulful house

2 Likes

Something for us mature ravers to enjoy…

Peace! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, you have to consider every listen is putting money in his pocket. But I’m not going to go nuts. Michael Jackson was a weird dude in a lot of ways. Who knows what all that stuff with kids was about? But I’m not going to swear off Michael Jackson.
Maybe some would call all of this hypocritical, but fortunately I don’t have to live by other people’s standards.

2 Likes

You might like these soulful house mixes by DJ Iain Willis.

You can download each mix in mp3 and add to Roon.

3 Likes

Just visiting the parents for Easter and being reminded by the old man of some other great Rock 'n Soul

2 Likes

S-mooooooooooth :wink:

And sounding more than a little old skool Michael Jackson at times!

6 Likes

PNG-afbeelding

This is really nice. In a Roon radio…

1 Like

Japanese 70’s funk/fusion/ kinda thing. Other than a few tracks, this greatest hits (Dbl album) is excellent. No idea if it can be found on Tidal/Qobuz, but a review search (not found) turned up its availability on Spotify.

The reason I bought this was hearing Khruangbin talk about them saying they were a big influence. It’s sung in both Japanese with some English, Yanagi has a husky soulful voice, with some tasty Stratocaster guitar licks.

Yanagi George & Rainy Wood
Greatest Hits (1981)

Yanagi

I think this was their signature tune:

Weeping in the Rain
https://youtu.be/9HHkF-9A1WA

For anybody interested, from I can’t make out, Yanagi doesn’t use a Fender strat, I’m leaning toward a Japanese Tokai strat, the headstock is too blurry in any pic I’ve found. It was around about this era that SRV & some others used Tokai’s (Japanese made) as Fender were in the doldrums. They have since become known as ‘lawsuit’ guitars.

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/Hl2VpUh.png

6 Likes