NTFS USB drive not seen

just got it again

[317440.560437] ntfs3: sdb2: volume is dirty and "force" flag is not set!

I’m not using SMB share, just the network path, any external storage on the Nucleus is not recognized

The Seagate is not visible anyway so SMB would not be recognized. Do you think I should just get another Seagate 8TB HD and format it differently?

Don’t understand what this[317440.560437] ntfs3: sdb2: volume is dirty and “force” flag is not set! means at all
This is error message when I try to map. SEAGATE HAS BEEN RECONNECTED TO NUCLEUSPLUS

Sorry, I should not used the word “SMB Share” – SMB Share just means “network share”.

You can ignore my message about that error, it just shows the problem is related to this eject/dirty thing.

That would definitely fix the issue. I can’t see how much music you have on the 8TB Seagate, it might be possible to copy to the 4+GB you have free on the other 2 drives.

I have a bit over 4TBs, Should I go with a new Seagate would you recommend formatting exFAT? I don’t know if that’s possible but if so?
I ordered the same one, should have it Wednesday, before I copy from old one I’m going to connect it to Nucleus plus and check to see if I can map it and include it in my Roon storage. I’ll let you know.

Yes, we always recommend exFAT for external drives because that format has the least number of issues cross platform

1 Like

I also lost the use of one of my external NTFS USB drives on my Nucleus +. Running a repair scan of the drive on my PC solved the issue.

I had a problem when I upgraded, it was initially formatted exFAT in Windows so finally I reformatted the drive in Windows on NTFS , then put it into my NUC/RCOK and loaded files via ROCK.

I am always careful to unmount the drive before removing from Windows.

Its been running fine for 4 days now and numerous Restarts

Hello Danny
After scanning and repairing HD as you suggested all is now well. Everything is mapped and recognized back in the ROON storage, presently scanning in. This is definatly the fix!
Thank you so much for the advise, patience and help.

UPDATE; NOW THE NUCLEUSPLUS IS RESETTING ITSELF MORE THAN SEVERAL TIMES OVER A 3 HOUR PERIOD, I’VE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND WAS ADDRESSED BY ROON AND LINN. I THINK IT’S TIME I GET A REPLACEMENT FOR THIS. I’VE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS SINCE THE BEGINNING. I’M AWARE AT THE BEGINNING MY PROBLEM WAS NETWORK RELATED, NOT ANYMORE. PLEASE REPLACE THIS UNIT. I’VE SPENT THOUSANDS TRYING TO GET THIS RIGHT.

Yesterday I was able to use my NTFS USB drIve with my Nucleus + after repairing errors on the drive. Today when I used the drive with Roon, it wasn’t recognized. After scanning the drive on my PC again (no errors found), Roon was able to recognize the drive again.

I have had no issues with my Nucleus + since purchasing it in 2018 until now. I hope the folks at Roon can fix this soon!

Keep the drive out of windows

I formatted my USB NTFS in windows, plugged into NUC rebooted the NUC then copied too it

Its behaved since , looks like the new NTFS driver in OS 2.0

I should also add that I turn the drive off after use with Roon. I leave the Nucleus + on.

Sounds to me like turning off/removing the drive without properly “ejecting” it first and so creating the same problem again. I think for this use case the Roon OS web configuration page would need an option to eject the drive first.

I am not aware of a “safe removal “ option a la Windows.

Once I got mine straight it’s stayed in .

I power down with a short press on the NUC on off button then remove the mains . I assume by that stage the USB drive has powered down. This technique has worked fine for the last 6 months

Roon suggests to leave the Nucleus on. I think the NTFS driver is the issue.

Windows has an ICON that resembles a Thumb drive with the cap removed in the lower right corner. May be under show hidden icons. Hovering over the ICON revels text "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media. Selecting it will display USB attached storage.

Hi Mike , yes in Windows but we are talking here about safe removal from a Nucleus or NUC running Roon OS. Other than of course “pulling the USB plug”

I use the Windows safe remove almost daily :sunglasses:, all my backups are through my Windows 10 PC

I thought you were going to get another exFAT drive and remove NTFS from the equation?

also, being a software problem, a hardware replacement is not going to solve your issue.

Changing the format of the drive to exFAT is a possibility for me; a possibility I don’t look forward to.

I turned the drive off for several hours. Turning it on resulted in everything working as it should. Who could ask for more fun than this!!!