NUC Rock not staying on for more than 15 seconds

Roon Core Machine

NUC8i5BEH, 8GB of RAM (2x 4GB DDR4-2400 CL17), 500GB NVMe SSD boot drive (WD Black SN770), 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD for music (Samsung 870 EVO).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My ROCK is hardwired directly into my Verizon Fios-G1100 router via ethernet. The router is hardwired into the Nokia 211 ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that Verizon supplied me with (Model number: G-211M-C).

Connected Audio Devices

I have a pair of KEF LSX speakers hooked up to my M1 MacBook Pro, via Aux. I also have the KEF’s connected to Roon via the network. My MacBook is how I access the core, and manage my files via the network.

Number of Tracks in Library

1,622 Artists, 3,897 Albums, 28,609 Tracks, 25 Composers.

Description of Issue

My NUC Rock isn’t staying on for more than 15 seconds. Any idea what’s happening?

It behaves normally at first. I power on the NUC, see on the monitor (when I have one plugged in) that the server is working. I can also go into my router’s web UI and see that the Rock is “active”. And when I access the Roon web UI everything shows to be working just fine too.

But then, after about 15 seconds, the Rock seems to shut off. The computer monitor doesn’t recognize a device is plugged in anymore, the router’s web UI shows the Rock as “inactive”, and I can not access Roon’s web UI.

Any ideas what’s happening, and how I can fix this? Thank you!

Edit: here’s a video of what’s happening NUC Rock shutting off after 15 seconds - YouTube

Older model. Maybe running 4ever? Could be thermal issues due to dust collected inside. I would try to vacuum the ventilation slots as a quick fix.

3 Likes

That was going to be my suggestion too. I run a couple of 8i5BEH NUCs - both have been fine for well over three years but I imagine that’s plenty of time for dust to enter the system and clog stuff up.

Michael

1 Like

I openend one some time ago and the collection was impressive. In a disgusting way.

1 Like

No issue with dust here. I bought the NUC on eBay in great condition, and have only been using it for a few months.

The (suspected) dust issue would be under the PCB. There is the CPU with ventilator and heat sink located.

Oh I see. Let me try to find a guide online for opening this thing up further.

15 seconds seems a remarkably short time for overheating - is your fan actually working?

Have you updated Roon lately? Maybe it’s stuck in a reboot loop?

Honestly, I’m not sure. I’ve never heard it. And considering how many people opt for fanless cases because of how loud the NUC fans are, it’s possible that the fan on this one is not working.

How would I test that?

I updated Roon no more than 3 weeks ago. Most likely more recently than that.

Cool it externally. Put a fan (or hold a vacuum cleaner) facing to the heat sink’s outlet and check if it survives more than 15 seconds. As a very quick & dirty test.

If it works the fan probably died. You still need to go to the bottom side of the PCB. Removing and detaching the fan isn’t complicated. And Amazon should get you a spare part quickly.

1 Like

Could be a bad psu do you have any other psu that you could try?

I managed to get a refund from the eBay seller who sold me the NUC. I think I’m going to go for a NUC11TNHi5 this time, and put it in an Akasa Turing case. It’s between the NUC11 running ROCK, or an M1 Mac Mini running Roon Server, and a remote desktop tool on it so I can restart the NUC when away from home if need be.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.