NUC Support for USB C / Thunderbolt 3?

Hi

Trying to find out if the USB C / Thunderbolt 3 port works with ROCK?

Anyone tried it recently?

Found an old post from @danny that mentioned it not being supported yet in 2017 but not found anything else.

Anyone?

Thanks

Nothing noted of it with any timeline…so I would not rely on it.

Thank you :slight_smile:

It does not yet. Still waiting on stable drivers from Intel.

Wow, that’s taking time.

I would have said they gave up but then the 8th generation devices all shipped with thunderbolt too.

There have been a few firmware updates flying around, shame they haven’t worked on the drivers too.

Sadly, I think Intel assumes Windows 10 is the only OS users will ever run on the NUCs…

@support,

Hello, when are you planning to add usb type C support in Nucleus?
I know that correct drivers doesn’t exist, but how long should we wait, an year or more?

I bought very expensive USB type C cable and use it with cheap Baseus adapter which causes SQ loss.

What USB C cable did you buy?

Not until the NuC boards the Nucleus is based on support it would be my guess and the current stock they use is no longer available.

Nordost Frey 2

Understood thank you

Hi @Vladimir_Tereshchenk,

At this time there’s been no change in status, and we’re still not confident a stable drive exists.

This could change in the future, but for the moment we are not hopefully we’ll be able to enable the USB-C port on Roon OS devices.

1 Like

Dear Noris,
Thank you!

It’s been a while…is there any change in status for this? Looking to run optical from my NUC ROCK to my switch. Probably better to look for a ROCK server with built-in SFP but just got my NUC/Rock and love it. Also fairly new to Roon. Am adding opticalRendu with Ubiquity switches and would love end to end optical. Better to just put something like a Gtech media converter in place?

1 Like

I use a Unifi SW24 port with 2 x SFP at the other end I have an EtherREGEN one on of the SFP ports using FS.com 1GB SFP modules supporting a Lumin D1 and I also have used an FS.com FMC 1GB with the same SFP modules to my other Lumin D2. I will likely do the same using a 2 x FMC pair for my other Lumin D1

the fibre connections are a little easier for me to squeeze through my floor access hole than UTP/STP lan cables without reterminating one end of the RJ45.

Does it sound any different - I can’t honestly say, but it doesn’t sound any worse.

1 Like