NUC to OPPO 205 with USB

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC/Rock with current Roon OS/Software

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS router, 8 Ethernet ports and wireless.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NUC to Denon 8500H receiver with HDMI, NUC to OPPO 205 with Ethernet and USB

Description Of Issue

The question I have is for the NUC to OPPO 205 with the USB connection. The OPPO reportedly has a high end 8 channel Dac so why is the interface limited to 2 channel? Just trying to understand.

The device setup for the HDMI connection provides an option to pick the channel configuration. The device setup for the USB connection has options for channel mapping or down sample only. Am I missing something?

This may be a stupid question but will the HDMI out form the NUC with a HDMI to USB converter get a multi-channel signal to the USB input on the OPPO? Has anyone tried that?

As OPPO is out of the A/V business, it’s unlikely they do change anything regarding the devices capabilities. Another user created this overview for the OPPO 205:

Hey Jim. I’ve tried every connection to the OPPO that I’m aware of, Ethernet, HDMI and now USB.

With the HDMI connection I didn’t detect any difference in the sound between the OPPO 205 and my Denon 8500H, both played multi-channel files so I settled on the receiver simply to avoid the extra step of having to select HDMI IN on the OPPO. One button on the Logitech remote for the family.

Ethernet works fine but I have to use the receiver Dolby Surround Processor for Multi-channel.

With the USB connection the OPPO uses the 7.1 analog connections to the receiver. The 2 channel signal from the NUC doesn’t drive the subs with that configuration.

I recently added the Dragonfly Cobalt Dac to my PC and the difference was amazing.

The USB DAC in the OPPO should be a big step up from the little Cobalt but I can’t find a way to use it at its full potential.

I did notice one benefit with the OPPO USB Dac connection. It does play native DSD. Guess I will use it for that even if it is only 2 channel.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.