NUC w/SSD or ext Drive vs NAS : what's best?

Hi everyone,

I’ve now been a member for two years, so my audio setup was not designed for Roon at first.
A few years back, I bought a NAS (Synology) to put my entire physical library on (a little over 2000 CDs at the time) so it could be accessed from my computer when I work and from my audio system in the living room when I’m more in the mood for “quality” listening.
Since then, Roon entered into my life. After a few months, I bought a NUC to run it, but I kept the NAS.
Something else has changed : I buy less physical music every year and I stream a lot. Basically, I only buy CDs I know I will listen to repeatedly in the future.
Sorry for the long introduction, but it was necessary to give some context.
Now, to my actual problem (and question to you fellow members).

Yesterday, one of the HD in my NAS stopped working. I could change it, but it got me thinking. I only use the NAS to store music, I barely touched the other functions. Perhaps theres’s a better solution for me.

Should I put a SSD in my NUC and transfer my library on it ?
Should I put an external drive on the NUC and transfer my library on it ?
Should I carry on with the NAS and replace my dead HD ?
Any other idea ?

I would be most thankful for all your answers.

Happy musical 2020 from France !

Benoît

Many people only use a NAS as a backup for their music files. Because of the way a NAS works, there are problems with Roon recognizing new music if the music files are on a NAS.

No difference between an SSD or a USB drive, as far as Roon performance goes.
An external USB is more transportable, if that matters to you.

FWIW

I would replace the drive in the NAS and use it as a backup destination.
Buy a USB drive and attach it to the NUC as main music storage.

Thanks.
Does that mean that the difference of speed access between the different types of drives has no influence on Roon performances ?

Practically speaking, no not for music files.

After all, they can run from a NAS which would be slower than a USB drive.

I prefer SSD in NUC for music files, to avoid using USB on regular operating functions. For backup, you can use any network shared drive (form any PC / laptop) or an USB stick on NUC.

I want to 2nd this option. Move music local to the NUC, fix the NAS and keep it as a copy of the Music on the NUC.

What difference does using usb make?
A computer is a multifunctional device one BUS isn’t better than another.

Hi - Keen to know how people are creating auto backup tasks from the NUC HDD into the NAS. I am exploring this solution. I have a Synology DS918+. How do I make it see the NUC HDD via a network share and backup from it?

I also have an internal SSD on NUC to be backed up to Synology NAS. I found no direct way between the two that really worked totally to my satisfaction.

I am now using an App called Folder Sync on my Mac and that does the job pretty much the way I want it.

Did you try the method in this post?

I dont think so.

Link to the app please…

When I get some time I’ll play with that Business Synch App for Synology.

Hey @Benoit_Domis, I took a similar path. I ripped about 1400 albums onto a NAS, subscribed to Roon and started streaming Tidal. I didn’t have much need for anything else on the NAS.

Then I ran into problems with my streamer. I replaced it with a Roon Nucleus+ and installed a 2TB SSD into it. I keep a backup copy of my library on another SSD offline.

I looked into using a NUC and running Rock, but I needed it next to my stereo and thus fanless operation. The Nuc+ was just easier than hobbling together a fanless generic. I haven’t looked back, except to sell my NAS.

I ran Roon with my music on a NAS for about 3 years and never encountered such an issue.

Good for you, but many people do. A casual search of the forum will reveal that.

A related question - Can one simply drop an SSD (to use for music storage) into an existing NUC that is already running ROCK? Or does the SSD need to be installed before ROCK?

Doesn’t matter. The SSD needs to be formatted by ROCK, whether installed before or after.