Nucleus+ appears to be dead

Thanks for the update @Akimo. We were able to dig a bit deeper, but didn’t see any signs of SSD errors.

I see that you’ve recently moved your Nuclus over to early access, are things running differently at all?

A good next step would be to do an OS re-install from the webUI. If you continue to run into issues after that, we’ll want to test out refreshing the database.

And the below steps to test out running on a fresh database:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Thanks!

Benjamin,
I’m afraid the symptoms have become more, rather than less, complex.

The unit takes more time to light up the monitor and appear on the network with each reboot, and now doesn’t appear to make its service available at all.

Prior to receiving your most recent message, I had reinstalled the OS (via the WebUI) and restored the db from a backup from the server (a mac mini) I’ve been using in the interim.

It rebooted, connected to the network and made its service available after an even longer delay (approx. 20 minutes after reporting that the backup restore completed.

I then attempted to use it via remote, but the server crashed immediately, requiring a reboot of the machine (the WebUI was not available).

Once I had the unit rebooted and available via the WebUI (approx. 20 minutes after hitting the power button), I carefully followed the steps you provided.

The current state is that after 20 minutes, the unit appeared in my network console, and , but does not appear to be providing a service that remote can connect to. Restarting the service via the WebUI doesn’t appear to help with this.

Regarding a recent change to early access, this is incorrect. I have been using each incremental early access version since (well before) the “early access” program began. I’m not sure if this provides any sort of clue as you must have seen something in the log incorrectly indicating a recent move to it.

Finally, I guess it could be a coincidence that the LED on the power switch failed on the same day that the other problems began, but it seems unlikely. Is there anything diagnostic about its failure?

Thanks

Hey @Akimo,

Thank you for the update! To confirm, did you test things out on a fresh database, before restoring from a backup?

The QA team has supplied us a RAM test you can run on Nucleus via a bootable USB drive. It’s a free, open-source software.

If you aren’t able to boot the above test, there’s an alternative software, too: If you are unable to boot the above test for some reason, there is an alternative tool:

Memtest86+ is an advanced, free, open-source, stand-alone memory tester for 32- and 64-bit computers (UEFI & BIOS supported)

Please let either of the memory test programs run for a few hours on your device (long enough to experience your issues) and report the results to the team. It should give us a definitive answer if memory/RAM is the issue here.

Let us know if you have any questions in the meantime and thank you again. :+1:

Ben,
While I tried my backup db first, after that failed, I then followed your instructions (after a reboot) to install a new one.

I’ve downloaded the memtest86 file, but will need some instruction. The read me covers use on windows and linux, but not on roonOS.

Please let me know what I need to do to make the USB bootable and then run whatever utility is required for the RAM test.

Thanks

You need to create a bootable USB stick with Memtest86 on it. Note that you need to use the older V4 BIOS release of MemTest86, as the Nucleus uses BIOS and not UEFI. Then stick it into the Nucleus and boot from it. Creating the bootable stick is explained on the Memtest page:

2 Likes

Suedkiez,
Thanks very much. I’ll try this out.

@benjamin,

I’m afraid the RAM test attempt failed:

• I was able to make a bootable usb stick via balenaEtcher and Memtest86+, and designate it via ROM as the boot device, but the Nucleus+ would not boot from it no matter what format the USB stick was (I tried several).

Maybe more tellingly, the Nucleus takes over 35 minutes from power button press to boot ROM menu. I have to think that this indicates a hardware or firmware issue, and would like to send the device in to be looked at by someone orders of magnitude more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @Akimo,

Thanks for giving the above a try! I’ll follow up via private message with next steps on getting an RMA started. :+1:

Thanks

The unit is now completely dead. It will not boot up normally, nor to the boot ROM menu. I have verified that the external power supply is putting out ~20v.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.