Nucleus Backup to USB Stick Issue

Hi @Peter_Krause,

Glad to hear that reformatting the drives via Windows helped! Do let me know if they are now stable over the next week since you reformatted.

Hi @noris,

up to 6.5. 11 updates with 2.48 GB on the 8 GB USB stick were successfully completed. Next I deleted the first update, ripped 1 CD and created a new update and it was successful too.
All is good now? Sadly not.
After the next 2 ripped CDā€™s the update one day later failed caused of the same problem ā€œthe root could not be foundā€. The USB stick was, as same as before, completely corrupted. So formatting with Windows does not solve the problem either. The updates work for a while, until something goes wrong regularly. With the another new formatted 4 GB USB stick the update was successful.
Itā€™s a slowly annoying problem. I donā€™t like to use a hard disk for this, because I only have some with already contained data - if it is then also shot like the USB sticksā€¦

Hi @Peter_Krause,

It sounds like these two USB drives have issues with their file systems. I would try using a different USB drive, from a reputable brand preferably and verify if that also has issues. Branded USB sticks are fairly cheap and widely available, so letā€™s try to eliminate the no-name ones as the variable here.

Hi,
I was facing exactly the same problemā€¦ Iā€™ve replaced the USB key with another one bigger and the back up was successful at the first run. Then I putted the old USB key in my pc, that was immediately recognised ā€¦ checking the space available was at zero ā€¦

• when the memory is full does rock overwrite the older one or just simply stop working with generic error message?
  • or it has a specific message about? Or nothing that it could not happen as overwriting the memory become endless ?

Hi @Paolo_C,

When you set up a Roon backup, you are required to set the maximum amount of copies to be made. When Roon reaches the max number of backups, the first one should automatically be overwritten.

This gives you an idea of the approximate backup usage, once the maximum amount of backups is reached.

If the USB key had insufficient space, I would suggest you limit the number of backup copies you put on it.

Ciao Noris,

Ok, so no warning message about not enough memory, maybe the point here is that the user should also have possibility to specify the amount of memory available and not only the numbers of backups required to allow Rock to do some calculationā€¦ as additional feature for the future I think this kind of warning message could be useful.
To be honest Iā€™ve not understood what happen in case of ā€œnot enough spaceā€ to store the defined numbers of backupā€¦ in any case I changed the USB key with a bigger one (8Gb) and better quality (TDK), having roughly 800 titles in memory I will also reduce the number of backup at 4ā€¦ letā€™s see what happen

As usual thanks for your kind help/reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Paolo_C,

I spoke to the team regarding your request for having an indicator with how much free space is available on a drive when creating a backup and since this appears to be ā€œworking as designedā€ (as itā€™s currently implemented) I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the Feature Request section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so thatā€™s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Ciao Noris,

Ok, Iā€™ll do that ( with my awful English :grimacing: )

1 Like

Hi @noris, after a couple of months i will give an update about my issue. Since I use the not no name USB stick the updates work without any problems. At the time are 12 updates on it. So I can say that the problem is solved?! I am hopefull it is so. Thanks for your patient support.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Krause,

Thanks for the update here, it does sound like this issue is resolved!
Iā€™ll go ahead and close this thread out, but if you run into any further difficulties, just let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.