Nucleus cannot backup to USB drives

Ok I now have a new usb stick. Got a Kingston one this time to see if it makes a difference . Also only set to one back up per week to see if this helps .

Thanks to all who contributed on here

1 Like

@support

Ok here we go again .
New usb stick and same old issue . Unable to back up . Am I just doing something wrong here . It’s just this is getting frustrating now .

1 Like

Hi @Womaz,

How is this Kingston drive formatted? Just to confirm, this was working for you for some time, just like the other drive?

Hi Dylan , yes it has worked since I got it a couple of months ago.
I am not sure what you mean by how it is formatted . FAT?
I have managed to get it working again by running some windows repair tool on it…but I think this will more than likely happen again .

I love roon but I have to get a reliable back up system working as I exclusively use Roon now and if I lost my data it would be a disaster

I have experienced such a disaster.
To how many places and at what frequency do you back up?

My schedule, e.g. -

I used to, like you I suspect, only backup to Dropbox and a local drive, every week and only keeping a couple of copies.

Roon will, against all common sense and good coding practices, backup a corrupted database. The Roon library can have corruption that doesn’t show for some time, even allowing one to use Roon without any apparent probelms. Support calls this ‘latent corruption’. If this backup of a corrupted database is done as many times as you have copies, then you will end up with no uncorrupted backups.

Should one need to do a Restore. one can’t recover from that.

You’ll notice that I now backup quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily to four different locations. That doesn’t really solve the problem of Roon backing up a corrupted database. It really, should ‘latent corruption’ occur, only insures that I have many more copies of a corrupted database.

A few words to the wise.

1 Like

This is worrying if true. It may also explain why I keep having this issue.
This used to work without problems before I got the Nucleus from what I recall. Not that I regret the Nucleus purchase as I dont.
I do have my music collection backed up to a WD My Passport also so I would not lose my own CD rips. However I am a Roon/Tidal user now and yes I would like to find a suitable way of backing this up.
I will continue as I am now …but if the problem comes up again i will have to think of alternatives

Ok I am here again. Again Roon fails to see the USB stick to perform a back up.
This is the 4th USB stick that this has happened to now. I cant be the only one that has this issue?
They all seem to work fine for a few months and then it just stops recognising the USB stick
So I have went for a free version of Dropbox and I will see how this goes, however the back up is at 30% and it has been over 3 hours since I started the process.
So my Sunday morning I had planned of blasting my music has now gone!
I love Roon , it has revolutionised how I listen to and look after my music…but it has to have a decent back up protocol. ITS ESSENTIAL!

Your problem is not the only problem in the Backup logic. Backup is Roon’s neglected child.

One advice, buy and use an usb drive. You can find 1TB portable usb drives for less than 50$/€.
USB sticks are NEVER reliable, as uou have experienced by now.
Dirk

1 Like

Thank for your reply. I will do as you say and purchase a USB drive, but is it not the same protocol as a USB stick?
I use USB sticks for various back ups and have never had an issue before. This is the 4th USB stick I have used with Roon , and it has been the same pattern. Works for a while then just stops. Why would a USB drive be any different?
It may seem a small amount to keep spending but its very annoying to say the least.
I have tried Dropbox and after a 9 hour process i got the message that I did not have enough space, which I found rather surprising as I only have around 2000 albums in my library.
I am not convinced my problems will be solved with a USB drive but I am willing to try.
Right now I have no Roon back up and thats a huge worry for me as Roon convinced me to stop buying music and to stream instead. But as I say a good back up protocol is ESSENTIAL!

I have a Windows 10 PRO machine with an older Bios.
Unfortunately I have learned that this PC is very sensitive to power fluctuations/loss, with a defect MBR Master Boot Record) on my bootdisk as a consequence.
With that I have learned that USB-sticks are not the most reliable backups/repairdisks as they often could not be read.
I still use them but I have now 4 of them as repairdisk.
So my experience is that USB sticks are not as reliable as USB harddisks (I have not yet tried a portable USB SSD disk)
I have no clue why that is.

And unfortunately, I have to agree with you that Roon backup itself is also not very thrustworthy.
I take now backups at 4 different locations, just to make sure (I hope) that I will find a good one, if I need to restore Roon’s database.

Dirk

1 Like

I use USB drives all over for BU, I have 8 of them (all Seagate Desktop Extension) !! For each drive in my PC (Win 10 with 2 x 3Tb, 2x 4Tb internal HDD) I have 2 sized matched USB drives for BU.

I use SyncBack Pro to keep all in sync (highly recommended , just works). Roon BU’s are made to a local working drive on the PC and then backed up to the 2 USB mirrors .

My music drives I backup after any change , most daily, video less often as I use Netflix mainly so little change. Domestic stuff (inc Roon) at least weekly often more frequently

I say no problem but I have never had a need to restore a Roon BU (lucky me) . Call me paranoid :rofl: :rofl:

You can use any other backup program and backup the whole RoonServer directory and restore from there if necessary.

Which I do, backing up my NAS to an attached USB drive. :smiley:
Dirk

Just to add to this
Today I connected my WD Passport HD to the Nucleus and it failed to recognise this too. I guess this is why I am reluctant to spend any more cash on a portable HD.
To make things worse it then lost my USB connection to my Devialet. I had to reboot several times to get this working again. More time that I wanted to listen to some music wasted.
I am not sure why this would happen when they are attached to different USB ports on the Nucleus

@support
I really need some help with this.
As of now I have no back up in place and my USB port may not be working . I have connected my WD Passport HD and another USB stick and none of them can be found when I go into back up.
This is now a big worry for me as I have no back up
There are suggestions on here to buy another portable HD , but I assume this would require a usb connection ? So I think I would have same issues
I have been on the roon user guide regarding back ups and I can’t find any guidance on there either

Hey @Womaz,

Thanks for sharing how things stand - I am sorry about the trouble. Could you please share a screenshot of the Nucleus USB port that doesn’t work? Is there any chance it might have a defect?

Also, if you try to connect your Passport to a PC or laptop, is it seen?

I’ve also looped in our technical team so they can chime in with their insight.

Thanks for your input
I will get a photo of the USB port when I get a chance as it means quite a bit of effort to get it all wired up correctly as it’s a very small space in my cabinet
Yes the 2 usb sticks work when plugged into my pc , and so does the WD My passport .
I have had trouble backing up ever since I got the nucleus .
The situation is not good now as I have no roon back up and I EXCLUSIVELY use Roon.

Just to add I have now tried 2 usb sticks and 2 WD MY passports and none of them are recognised . They all work when plugged into my PC