Core is a Nucleus
Music files are stored on an attached USB drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nucleus is connected to ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Various devices connected via wifi and ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

We had a power outage and the Nucleus no longer appears to be able to find the music files on a USB device plugged into the Nucleus. I can see the Nucleus using Windows Explorer but when I go to the Storage folder (where the files have previously been found) the folder shows up as empty. When I attach the USB drive directly to my computer all of the files are on the USB drive and are accessible. I have restarted the Nucleus and unplugged/plugged in the USB drive. Roon is connecting to the Nucleus Core and is accessing by Library on Tidal. Thank you. Bob McCarthy, Bellingham, WA

What format is your drive? (NTFS, EXfat,??)

You might try connecting the drive to your computer and running chkdsk /F on the drive. Then eject it properly from the computer and then reconnect it to the Nucleus.

Thank you for the suggestion. Format is NTFS. I ran the chkdsk and it came back with no problems found. Reinstalled the USB drive to the Nucleus, same result. Anything else I should try? Thank you again.

Bob McCarthy

Can you post a screenshot of the WebUI for the nucleus? also a screen shot of the Settings/storage page in Roon.
Have you tried rebooting the nucleus?
Have you tried different ports? I think the Nucleus only has two, right?
Do you have another usb drive or thumb drive that you can connect to see if the USB ports are working?

Sorry but not sure what WebUI for the Nucleus would be. The Settings/Storage page is upper left of the attached image.
There are two ports on the Nucleus and I did try both. Same result.
I did put a different USB drive in and that was recognized.

Will try chkdsk again on my USB and reinstall in the Nucleus.

When the uncooperative USB is attached to my computer I can play music from it with Jriver with no problems so the drive seems to be okay.

I really appreciate your input and suggestions. Thank you! Bob McCarthy

Everything working properly again. Not sure what got it going, maybe I didn’t do the chkdsk right the first time.

Thank you again for your input and suggestions.

No problem.
For future reference the WebUI can be accessed by going into Roon and to “settings/setup” click “find” and then click the IP address (colored text).
Here’s a KB with instructions:

Also, if you can’t get into Roon for whatever reason you can enter the IP address in to your browser to get to the page.

And FYI (I know this is for ROCK but should also be applicable to Nucleus):

USB Storage - Best Practice

If you’re going to directly connect a USB drive to your Core, you will have some options about how you want to format your drive.

We recommend USB drives connected to ROCK be formatted exFAT if you require compatibility, or EXT4 if you don’t.

Advantages of using exFAT include:

1. Cross-platform compatibility (macOS, Windows, Linux)
  2. No real limits on drive size or file size

ROCK will also work with NTFS ,FAT32, and EXT2/3/4 drives, but if you are starting fresh with USB storage, our recommendation would be to use exFAT.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.