Nucleus Crashes LAN and WAN when loading files to Internal SSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus
OS = Version 1.0 (build 183) stable
Roon Server Software = Version 1.7 (build 511) stable
Internal Music Storage = 500GB, Samsung SSD 860, 93% of 462 GB available
Roon Labs Software = Version 1.0 (build 12) stable.
Roon Database & Settings = 100% of 55 GB available.

On Ethernet, using W10-home PC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

PSAudio Direct Stream, with USB
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue

1. Nucleus does not automatically appear in the Network on Windows File Explorer, but it will show up after typing in \Nucleus

2. Trying to load files onto the SSD inside the Nucleus, can drag and drop folder by folder and these do copy and appear as music selections on the samsung tablet. But after several drops both the LAN connection to the Nucleus dies and the PC connection to the internet dies. Same thing happens if dragging several folders to the Nucleus internal storage.
    Only fix is to reboot.

Yes, I reformatted the SSD, Reinstalled the OS, and Reset the Roon Database Settings.

Somehow figured out the 192.168.1.206 = to make sure the Nucleus is connected.
Nucleus does stream music via Qobuz and the SSD to the DAC.

1. Downloaded ROON to the PC and it cannot find the Nucleus.

Hi @poonbean,

Can you describe your networking setup? What router is in use? How are these devices connected? Are there any other networking devices in use?

Does this only happen if you’re using this specific Windows 10 device to copy files? Do you have any other machine you can use as a temporary test?

Can you describe your networking setup? What router is in use? How are these devices connected?
Typical home LAN with Comcast cable
Cable Router = Arris Surfboard SB6190 (cable to ethernet)
Router Switch - Asus RT-AC87U (ethernet distribution to wired house connections, and provides wireless)
Switch (dumb, near the Nucleus) = TEG-S50g (splits ethernet to nucleus and roku)

Are there any other networking devices in use?
Not sure what you mean. The PC is connected to the wired ethernet. There are other wireless connections.

Does this only happen if you’re using this specific Windows 10 device to copy files?
Yes - other than copying files to Nucleus SSD, the LAN is v stable

Do you have any other machine you can use as a temporary test?
No

Try to test a setup without this switch. Other users already reported problems with this model/family of switches.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I bypassed the TEG switch and the ethernet is now directly into the Nucleus.
I was able to load more folders to the internal ssd before it crashed the LAN and WAN, but it still crashes.
Ideas?

Only from the PC? Is the Samsung tablet still connected to the Core and the internet when this happens?

A reboot of the PC or the Nucleus or the router?

Reboot of the PC re-establishes the LAN and WAN

Yes, while the LAN and WAN connectivity of the PC fails, the Samsung tablet remains connected to the Core and internet via Wifi. This indicates (to me, geologist - not an IT guy) that the router and switch and wireless wifi continue to function after the wired Nucleus-PC-LAN-WAN connection fails during file copying.

Looks like your Windows PC is dropping the network connection as the Roon Core and other devices on the network are still working as expected. You should take a closer look at it. Maybe there is some hint abut what’s going on in the Event Log. As I don’t have a copy of Windows 10 Home, I’m out for now.

Hi @poonbean,

When this happens are you able to access the Nucleus Web Administration Interface from a machine other than the PC? I’m curious to know if the Nucleus is losing connection too or if it is only the Windows machine.

It’s just the wired LAN and WAN that’s lost. The tablet still connects with the Nucleus.

I’ve now noticed something else - if I wait long enough, the LAN and WAN connection comes back to life. It’s almost like the connection overheats or something during the file transfer, fails, cools off, and re-establishes itself - to continue the file transfer, I click “Try Again” and viola. So, while a reboot is no longer necessary. It is not reliable.

Hi @poonbean,

Thanks for the update. It’s hard to say if this is directly related to the Nucleus — It sounds like something is happening on the PC that is causing it to lose it’s network connection.

Do you have another location over the network that you can try copying files to? Does the same issue occur on the PC when doing so?

There’s no other NAS, thus the Nucleus. But I think you might be correct, that this is a PC issue, as the PC also loses connection to the internet. Perhaps the PC needs a better NIC, as this machine is pushing 7 years old. I’ve upgraded the RAM and it has an internal SSD, so the PC itself it’s fast enough for my needs, but maybe that NIC is a problem.

I also have a sense that the Nucleus prefers to not multitask, as in load the SSD while streaming to my DAC - any suggestions on this point?

Hi @poonbean,

Do you have issues when you are doing this?

Importing and analyzing media definitely uses a bit more resources than normal, so that could be playing into things if you are seeing issues. You might try disabling background analysis from Settings > Library and see if that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.