Nucleus frequently crashes - 2 to 3 times per week,

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus Serial #94C6911CFD67. I purchased this directly from Roon.
Latest software installed in attached screen shot.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My home network is based on Orbi mesh network. external WAN/Internet is Xfinity modem with approx 800Mb download. Very stable network and little if any issues in the last two years.
Nucleus is hard wired over Ethernet through CISCO 20 port 1Gbit switch. The Nucleus has fixed IP address of 10,0.0.21 on my LAN

Connected Audio Devices

I have a range of endpoints including Sonos speakers ( 8 ) and Vega G2.1 in main listening room. I use both iPad and iPhone Roon clients to interact with the Nucleus.

Number of Tracks in Library

approx 10K tracks.

Description of Issue

Over the last several months there are increasingly ā€˜crashesā€™ with the Nucleus. This can happen mid-stream of a song or when I first open Roon on a client device ( screenshot attached )

This can happen at anytime on any endpoint or client I open.
If I try and connect to the assigned IP address of the Nucleus through my browser there its no response. Attempting to re-power the Nucleus or press the power button on the back, does not restart the unit. My only option is to simply wait ( could be a few mins, an hour or more ). The Nucleus eventually recovers and I am able to use the system.
I cannot predict when this occurs and when it does, all other devices on my network are working fine ( Sonos etc ). This happens probably 4-5 times a week and becoming very frustrating. I purchased the Nucleus as an ā€˜applianceā€™ hoping that the rest of my Family would simply use this as the main listening system in my house.
My only observation is that this seems to have become a fairly common occurrence the last 6 months or so ago and especially with the release that added ARC ( I have no idea I related ).

I am open to trying anything to resolve. I donā€™t suspect any network issues to be honest as when the system ā€˜crashesā€™ the Nucleus is completely non-responsive and no matter of resetting / power cycling seems to bring it alive. I simply need to wait.

Any ideas appreciated ,

Your Nucleus seems like 10.0.0.20 DHCP (per your image)? seems like it just rebooted 12 seconds ago.

My Nucleus setup is kind of similar to yours, and it seems very stable.

Yes, was a typo in my post. My Nucleus is at 10.0.0.20 and fixed. Thanks for the catch/typo. Yep, has re-booted three times today :slight_smile:

Your does not show up ā€œInternal Music Storageā€? Do you use external SSD?

But I think it is more like hardware-related issue?

I should also add. The IP address is reserved at the router.

As a network software developer in the Bay Area, I think static IP is more troublesome that it is worth actually, just my 2 cents.

Just as an update. Nucleus was up for 30 mins then when I opened Roon client on my Mac laptop. I get this message. I was simply looking at the settings and no music was streaming. I have no choice but to just wait for the Nucleus to recover on its own. Just additional info for anyone that has any ideas.

Thanks. I will try just allowing DHCP. Just a gut feeling but doesnā€™t feel like a router or network issue. If it is, it would be very specific to the Nucleus. My entire network has been really very stable and I generally do not see any other issues with anything else. Thank though, for taking the time to post a response.

I would suggest that you change from fixed IP to DHCP IP and reboot the Nucleus, it may not match the router network IP.

Is there any chance that you have more than 1 LAN in the house?

Thanks again for the quick response. No, only one LAN. Changing now to DHCP and will see what happens.

Cheers

1 Like

Make sure that you static IP tab looks like this:

Thanks. I have the DHCP ā€˜buttonā€™ tab selected. If I go to the Static IP tab and clear those settings out and then hit save I get an error message that the fields are invalid. If I click back to DHCP and click save, no errors but the values in the Static IP fields donā€™t get cleared out. Hope that makes sense. In other words the only way to save after editing the Static IP fields is to select back to DHCP, which resets those fields in the Static IP

As a last resort, you may want to do Roon Database & Settings ā†’ Reset.

yep, might consider that. I have rebooted my router (since I removed the fixed IP assignment ) and I have rebooted the Nucleus. Itā€™s up right now, so we will see. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Well, I took the plunge and completely reset database and settings. After 10 mins the Nucleus crashed.

Wow! Thatā€™s bad news.

You may need to take the next steps to diagnose your Nucleus, seems like memory or disks or something elseā€¦

This may be useful:

Thanks again. I have moved my core onto my Mac Studio M1 and just restoring from a backup. I will look into memory testing, but may need to see about getting this repaired or investigated, Probably reaching my limit to be able to do much more. Will see how the Mac Studio install goes but already seems more zippy etc.

I really appreciate you providing almost realtime help here. Thank you

Regards
Allan

2 Likes

Hey @Allan_Rentcome,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for writing in! Itā€™s good to see you on the community again, although Iā€™m sorry its an issue with your Nucleus that prompted your visit.

Iā€™m not able to see your Nucleus active on your account. If you could, please bring the device back online for as long as you can so we can pull core diagnostics to take a closer look at what might be going on.

Iā€™d also temporarily hardwire your core directly to your router during troubleshooting.

Iā€™ll be on standby for your reply!

Hi Benjamin

Thanks for the response. I will get the Nucleus back up in the next day or so. I assume I need to unauthorize where I have the current core situated?

As a side note, with the Nucleus issues I decided to put the core on my Synology DS920+ NAS. For my use use, which generally is only playing to one end point or maybe a handful of Sonos endpoints grouped, the performance has been rock solid the last couple of days, including using ARC in my car for a good chunk of the day, This all while Plex is streaming from the NAS to my office.

I would like to try though, to get the Nucleus issue understood and fixed and will get it re-connected this week.

Thanks

Allan

1 Like