Nucleus i3 drops connection

Nucleus i3…upsampling to DSD256…single zone active. Processing speed is pretty consistent at 2.8x when upsampling to DSD256.

Occasionally during playback, music will stop playing, and I will lose connection to the Nucleus from any client. Nucleus is pingable during this outage, and eventually connects back up. Nucleus is lightly warm to touch, definitely not running too hot.

DAC is Auralic Vega G2, running in streaming mode via Roon Ready Endpoint.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

1 Like

Hello @Scott_Rose,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over the issue you are facing here. You mention that you are using a Roon Ready Endpoint, in your setup can you please let me know which manufacturer/model you are using? Or is the Auralic Vega G2 the only Roon Ready endpoint here?

How often does the music stop playing, is this occurring a few times a day or only once in a while? I have gone ahead an enabled diagnostics mode on your account and what this will do is next time the Nucleus is active a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for further analysis.

What I would kindly ask you to do is to play try playing the content again and note the exact local time in your country that playback randomly stops (ex. 12:30PM). After noting the time, we can cross reference the logs and see if there is a specific error that Roon is showing regarding the playback and provide additional troubleshooting steps that way. Please let me know your reply to the above questions when possible and we can continue troubleshooting from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Hey Noris,

The Auralic Vega G2 is the only endpoint here. I will start playback, and note what time it is when it happens again.

Thanks for looking into this!

-Scott

11:22am cst, 6/19/18

Hello @Scott_Rose,

Thanks for letting me know that time, it will be very helpful in narrowing down what exactly is going wrong here. I can confirm that we have successfully received the diagnostic info from your Nucleus and I have started a case for you with our QA team. There is no further action required on your part for the moment, I will be sure to update one once our QA team have completed their report and passed it to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Scott_Rose,

I appreciate your patience here, I have just received the report back from our QA team and they said that something is likely going wrong on the Network aspect of your setup. Can you please provide the following information:

• Manufacturer and Model of your Modem
  • Manufacturer and Model of your Router
  • Manufacturer and Model of any network Switches (and if managed or un-managed)
  • Any Network Extenders you may have
  • Firewalls you have active on the network
  • How your Auralic Vega G2 is connected to the Router (through a switch/repeater or to directly to the router?)
  • Any other relevant network information you may think could be at play here

After you let me know this information I can pass it on to QA and we can continue troubleshooting from there. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Noris

ATT Fiber Optic to Ethernet Bridge > ATT Modem > Ubiquiti UniFI USG Firewall > UniFI GB switches (managed) throughout home. No extenders. Vega G2 is connected directly to UniFi 8 port switch (same switch that Nucleus is plugged in to).

Hard to think that it is a network issue, as I can ping the actual Nucleus when the connection drops.

You can close this ticket for now, as I am upgrading to a Nucleus + in a few days, and will report back if I continue to see issues. I have been doing DSD256 upsampling with the Nucleus, and it may have been getting overwhelmed.

Thanks

-Scott

Hello @Scott_Rose,

Thanks for confirming that information with me. Even though you may be able to ping the Nucleus, the multicast packets may not go through if that setting is disabled in the UniFi tool, as Roon uses Multicast to communicate between devices. I would make sure to confirm that the option is set to allow Multicast in your UniFi Access Points setup:

Please let me know if you have this option enabled or if not let me know if the Nucleus + behaves differently after receiving it.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Setting is not enabled, meaning I am not blocking multicast. This also should have no bearing on the audio dropping out, as both the Vega G2 DAC and Nucleus are connected via GB ethernet to the network. I would think that even a remote that is connected to the Core via wireless AP would not cause the music to stop playing if it somehow got disconnected.

When the audio drops, its as if Roon Core just takes a dump, as the Vega loses total connection to the Nucleus as an endpoint. Very odd.

Hello @Scott_Rose,

I just want to follow up with you here, have you by any chance received your Nucleus+ and are experiencing the same issues? QA has proposed another test that we can perform in the meantime if you have not received it yet. They would like to verify if this behavior only occurs when streaming TIDAL content or if it still exists with Local Content as well. What I kindly ask for you to do is to load up a USB drive containing some local content and plug it into the Nucleus, attempt playback of said local content in DSD256 and let me know if you are still experiencing the dropped connections. This will help rule out if it is the network coming into play here or if it is the Nucleus unable to upsample that content. Please let me know your findings if you decide to run this test.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

I just received and setup my Nucleus+, so I can let you know if the problem persists…but I do believe it was mainly if not alwasy with Tidal, and not my local stuff. I can double check that and get back to you.

Separate question for you. I have a question about DSP performance with the Nucleus+. When upsampling to DSD512 with the Nucleus, I was getting around 1.4-1.5x processing speed. Now that I have hooked up the new Nucleus+ with all identical settings, I am only seeing 2.1x processing speed now. The only DSP I am doing is upsampling, and headroom management. Shouldn’t I see better performance going from the Nucleus to Nucleus+?

Thanks