Nucleus+ lights up but doesn’t boot up

Hi, I am having the same problem. I have a WD external drive connected to my Nucleus+, which has been connected for quite some time with relatively no issues except for the occasional reboot. I connected the drive to my PC to check it out. All folders and files are visible and play. The Nucleus+ is visible on the web interface and can connect successfully to my Synology NAS.
Prior to checking if the Nucleus+ is visible on my network, I replaced the Cat6a cable. I also completely disconnected the Nucleus+ and reconnected. On starting the Nucleus+, the drive lights up but doesn’t boot up. Please, can anyone assist.
Thanks, Michael

Hey @Michael_O_Leary,

I’ve split your reply into its own thread to ensure it receives proper attention. You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, I was able to take a look into your account and see that your local files look to be identified on your core. Is this correct?

Let me know if you’re still having issues here :pray:

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for following this up.
Following that I can no longer see the external drive connected to the Nucleus+, I transferred all those files to 3 Synology NASs and that’s what you’re seeing now. (I have subsequently disconnected the external drive as a location in the app to hopefully get back my playlists, but they’re not showing up now, except for subscription files).
This is not my preferred solution as I use these NAS drives for other storage plus it’s more convenient to have the music files on 1 externally connected drive, with a duplicate drive backup. At some stage I will install an internal ssd.
While replying to you, I just updated to the last build, then disconnected the Nucleus+. After a few minutes I reconnected it and the external drive. I then checked the web interface but there’s no sign of a connected external drive. The software is playing from the NASs through my system.
Thanks, Michael

Hey @Michael_O_Leary,

Thanks for the information. Let’s focus on the external drive, how is it formatted? NTFS or exFAT? If it’s NTFS, we’ve seen others find success in cloning their drive to exFAT.

With that, let’s look into investigating the drive in more depth. Are you able to run chkdsk /f from the Command Prompt to check for any disk failures? Here is a breakdown on how to do this : How to Use CHKDSK to Scan & Fix Windows Hard Drive | Avast.

Note that you’ll need to connect the external drive in question to your Windows 10 machine :+1:

I’ll be on standby for your reply

Hi Ben
Thanks for the advice. Here it is:

It’s NTFS with no disk errors.
Subsequently I formatted a portable hard drive exFAT and transferred some files to it. I connected it to the Nucleus+ and it showed up. I was able to add it’s location and play the files.
Currently I am formatting the 6TB external drive exFAT and copying some files across from a 6TB backup drive. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, Michael

Hey Ben,

Following reformatting the external drive exFAT and migrating 2 large folders (DSD and 16 bit, 24 bit still to do) to that drive, I was able to successfully connect it to the Nucleus+. Roon sees it and so do my PCs.
It’s surprising that it’s been working for so long with the prior NTFS formatting.

SOLVED!!!

Many thanks,
Michael

1 Like

Hey @Michael_O_Leary,

Thanks for the info! I’m glad you’re able to get your music back in your ears! That said, the team and I are going to investigate deeper into why there were issues with the NTFS formatting. If any new information is discovered I will certainly let you know :+1:

Outside of that, happy listening! :notes:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.