Nucleus linear power supply form factor

Switching power supplies power all of my Linn kit, and I’ve never had any of the ‘problems’ you cite.

Perhaps you have had experience with some of the less-well-designed variety? But you can’t say that all SMPS’ are ‘unreliable’. That’s simply not true.

Indeed. They’re been improved steadily since the 1950’s. A good SMPS will supply excellent clean power with very little ripple. They are much more efficient, wasting less of their power as heat.

Benchmark explains why they think switching power supplies are better here.

This paper from the Audio Engineering Society by two engineers from Signetics indicates that even 40 years ago any generated harmonics from their SMPS chip were “well outside the audio frequency range”.

But putting a linear power supply on a computer is even less fruitful than on analog components. The power that goes into a computer is immediately fed into a switched-mode power regulator on the motherboard to provide the various voltages necessary internally. So you’d lose any of the illusory advantages of linear anyway.

And finally, there’s the question I’ve never heard an answer to: why don’t you trust the manufacturer? Roon sells the Nucleus complete with a power supplies, which comes with. It’s an implicit recommendation by Roon Labs to use this particular power supply! If you don’t trust the power supply they provide, why would you trust the stuff that’s inside the box?

2 Likes

I suppose that there are plenty of ‘flat-earthers’ out there Bill, that hold ‘outdated and disproven beliefs’ (not my definition, but that of the ‘Oxford Dictionary’) with respect to SMPS’s.

DCS use a £10 alps rk27 pot in an almost £27k ish Lina system so I don’t think everything is down to what is going to be the best quality to use.
Fwiw I have no problem using the wall wart the nucleus came with.

1 Like

Hello, I am thinking of getting the Roon’s lifetime subscription and purchasing a Roon Nucleus as well.
I am really confused why there is a need for a better linear power supply for the Nucleus. This is only beneficial to those who are directly connecting a DAC or any hardware to the Nucleus right? If you are using the Nucleus through LAN/network via Roon bridge/Roon ready devices then there is no point of getting better power supply.

I mean it is just passing data to the network and the endpoint will receive these data. I am using FMC(fiber media converter) to cutoff any noise from ethernet calble which will then go to my Gustard R26 DAC. So I got the other end covered.

If you just make sure that you have galvanic isolation from the mains - decoupling the power supply from the mains or other actions in that direction you will be just fine.

Torben

1 Like

There isn’t

5 Likes

Thank you for the replies.
I just saw a post where he upgraded the power supply of his Nucleus but there’s nothing hooked other than the LAN and power cord. Which is why I posted the question in this thread as I do not understand the benefit.

People do all kinds of things… :wink:

1 Like

It’s a bloody computer. No audio signals in here. Purely in the digital domain.

If you start throwing LPS at a Nucleus you should get your laptops one as well. Or accept the risk that you start seeing numbers like 1,0000000000000003 in an Excel spreadsheet where a result of 2-1 is expected. Be at least consistent.

Jesus Christ on a stick …

4 Likes

If you read through the forum you’ll see that for everyone that claims to hear an improvement in sound quality with a LPS, there are just as many of us who couldn’t hear any difference. That applies with a lot of audio tweaks advocated by the community. So the only real test is to try it yourself and see.

3 Likes

It’s not beneficial to anyone. It’s an audio myth perpetuated by those who sell linear power supplies, their advertising cohorts, and the unfortunate dupes who believe them. There’s no point whatsoever putting an LPS on a computer.

If you are going to trust Roon and buy a Nucleus, why not trust Roon also to provide the power supply that’s appropriate? Nucleus does come with a power supply, after all.

5 Likes

I just wish they’d leave it at that … but they even recommend all these kinds of things to unsuspecting fellow audiophiles … :biohazard:

2 Likes

I really like the utility of my HD Plex Linear Power supply…

They are frequently sold out because of their popularity…I use one of the 12 volt DC taps to power my 2012 MAC mini Roon Server after I removed the AC supply. Wish I could do that in Apple’s latest MAC Mini iterations…but their current design precludes anyone from changing the guts to their liking…

1 Like

Personally, I’d prefer to trust Apple’s engineers to get this right.

3 Likes

Yep…arrogance was just what it was. Improving my Music system because the performance was improved never even entered into it…

1 Like