Nucleus power supply

Hi all, I have been reading about and saw a couple of video’s regarding improving the Nucleus power supply to increase performance in my streaming and overall. Anyone have suggestions on a PS or opinions?

If only there was a search function :wink:

7 Likes

Hi @tony_d, fellow user here.

I tried a different power supply once and it didn’t improve anything, nor did it make anything worse. Just stick with the original power supply, that’s how Roon built the device and that’s how it’s good. Just my opinion of course…

For me it was the same as with the topic “via USB from the Nucleus into the DAC” versus “separate streamer between Nucleus and DAC”. Here, too, there was (in my system) no change in the already very good quality. Again - just my personal experience.

4 Likes

Lots of people claim that after plugging in a power supply that had just paid big money for they hear a vast difference. Nobody had ever managed to demonstrate it in any kind of blind test, and there is no physical mechanism by which you could improve over a “good enough” original power supply.

3 Likes

How is your Nucleus connected to your DAC ? Via USP or Ethernet? If the later, then the improvement from a quality linear PSU will be minimal.

If, on the other hand, your DAC is connected via the USB, then - depending on how resolving your system is - you may hear a substantial improvement.

@Elberoth
Can you please give some scientific background that can explain this improvement?
Or is this only one of these audiophile myths circulating in all audio forums.
Even a minimal improvement is against everything I learned in my University studies and 30 years working in the digital domain.

2 Likes

If Harman has any business sense, they will add a number of PS upgrade options. Oops, sorry for spilling their secret $$£¥€ plan

2 Likes

Only for Mark Levinson branded gear though :slight_smile:

I see a range from $100 to $6K in our future, so that everyone can pay for the improvement that they are worth.

Harman can PM me for my bank account details, I will accept a very reasonable percentage for the use of my brilliant idea.

Sounds pretty low… Mark Levinson wants $25000 for a (Roon Ready, natch) CD player/streamer.

You’ve typed “non existent” wrong :wink:

1 Like

There’s obviously headroom still

I think it’s the only properly “audiophile” (as in, charges a metric ton of money for decidedly mediocre performance) brand they have though. Their target audience would not bat an eye paying $10K or more for a power supply that has ML logo on it (but doesn’t do anything else)…

Their other consumer brands to appear to be based more on proper engineering and research though.

But we are talking Nucleus here, not every Roon user is an ML user. Also it was not entirely serious

Of course this is not serious. But even Nucleus audiophile users deserve an SQ upgrade path before they shell out for a WADAX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.