Power upgrade nuc

Hello,
I have an Intel NUC for Roon.
Does anyone have experience upgrading the power supply for the NUC?

Please see the many existing threads:
https://community.roonlabs.com/search?context=topic&context_id=256715&q=Power%20supply%20nucleus&skip_context=true

In particular:

Nucleus Power Supply Poll - Roon Software Discussion / Nucleus - Roon Labs Community

to @Eric_Besemer there is absolutely zero evidence that changing the PSU on a NUC makes any audible difference to anything in any part of the audio chain. Lots of peoples anecdotal stories do not amount to factual proof.

If you don’t connect the NUC directly to your DAC via USB (eg you use network attached devices) then there is absolutely no sane reason to change the power supply on your NUC, the data passing through the device, doesn’t care how expensive your power supply was.

12 Likes

Do you connect to your DAC via USB?

I have experience upgrading the PSU. I have run a silent i7 gen 7 NUC (same as a first generation Nucleus+). I have run a 19v Farad 3 and a Ferrum Hypsos. All as part of a process of excluding any substandard power supplies both linear and switched in my listening room. The result was subtle but audible via a network connected core. It is unclear however if that was purely down to the removal of cheaper power supplies from my listening environment or improvements in the performance of the NUC.

I also have good experiences with the Farad power supply for my streamer including SA orange fuse. 

So maybe an option for me…

The Farad is good for older two core NUC’s. Up to gen 7. Above that it may have issues.

What kind of issues, i have a gen 8.

The Farad Super 10 was developed because later NUCs were too power hungry for the Super 3. The Super 3 can deliver up to 65 watts which is OK up to gen 7 i7 but I’m not sure about gen 8. i3 and i5 would be OK. You would need to confirm with Farad.

I was also very deep into replacing the PS to my NUC, especially since I got one dedicated as streamer to my DAC.
This lead me to this test by Jay Luong, The World's Best Audiophile Linear Power Supplies - Audio Bacon where he shares his final ratings in many categories for many models, Best Audiophile Power Supplies - Audio Bacon, and I just did’t feel like investing in something that wast’n the “best” in every category…

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.