NUCLEUS REPAIR---Calling Wes

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Verizon Fios. Use ethernet cable

Connected Audio Devices

USB to McIntosh C2700 preamp, HDMI to Anthem AV60.

Number of Tracks in Library

about 11,000 tracks

Description of Issue

This is a follow up to a previous topic involving my Roon Nucleus apparently self-destructing. Wes from customer service has been involved and I would ask that he respond to this when he can. (I am only starting a new topic because the prior topic was shut down after only 36 hours. I don’t understand Roon’s policies with respect to this, but that certainly didn’t give me enough time to try to get resolution of the issue.)

To pick up where I left off, the local stereo store where I purchased the Nucleus has been in communication with Roon and they tell me that Roon has or will soon authorize them to send it back for repair. They tell me Roon has determined that it needs a new SSD, at a cost of $199. I feel that Roon should bear the cost of this repair. The Nucleus was less than three years old when it decided to self-destruct. I have lots of audio equipment that is far older than that, that still works. For the price of the Nucleus, I ought to get more than about two years and nine months use out of it. Also, as you know I pay an annual fee for utilizing the Roon software, and I have now lost about two months use and expect to lose another month or so before I finally get the Nuleus back. Wes, I would appreciate any assistance you can provide concerning this monetary issue. If there is someone else I should contact about it, please advise. Also, if this topic is going to close in an inordinately short time period, perhaps we can communicate by e-mail or phone outside of this community. Let me know. Thank you again.
Alan

A Roon Nucleus is warrantied for 2 years. My M.2 died at about 3 years old and I installed a replacement from Amazon for $25.93 plus an hour of my time. We knew the warranty policy when we purchased the Nucleus. Most computers are warrantied for 90 days up to one year unless you buy an extended warranty, which I never do.

2 Likes

For context, this seems to be the other thread where you spoke with @Wes

Generally, if I buy something with a warranty of 2 years, I don’t expect to get free repairs after more than 2 years.

3 Likes

Spend $30 and an hour of your time and install a new M.2 w/ROCK OS… Roon will then update it over the internet to run the appropriate OS for a Nucleus.

1 Like

It’s a computer, warrantied as a computer, not a piece of solid state audio equipment (although, it’s priced as one).

I’m surprised your stereo store didn’t offer to replace the drive for less than that. It’s like a 30 minute job including restoring Roon (as long as you have a database backup, otherwise you start over).

Where do you live? Maybe someone wants to make a quick hundred and help you.

My prices are based upon the low budget SSDs that come with these devices. You could and should put in a much higher grade SSD. This upgrade alone is a good reason not to send it back to Roon.

Sorry Roon, love you guys… but the Nucleus… not so much.

Hi @Alan_Wishnoff,

Our RMA team is in contact with your dealer. The warranties on nucleus are for 2 years and to will get a 90 day warranty on your repair. There are no extenuating circumstances here that would allow for any changes in this policy. A piece of hardware has failed outside of warranty. Never a fun situation but it happens to everyone in this world for sure.

While I understand being without your music is frustrating, we don’t have your Nucleus yet and couldn’t even expedite things until that happens. You have taken your unit to a dealer and to my knowledge, they have not responded to our RMA team’s inquiries.

You are welcome to send me messages but I would ask that multiple threads on this same topic not be opened. It is against community guidelines and makes it harder for us to support our users.

All I can do from my side is tell you whether or not your dealer has taken care of things and it seems they might be the better contact for this. They may even be able to save you money by doing as @Jim_F and @xxx suggested.

Regards,
Wes

1 Like

I understand what a 2 year warranty is. But I also think some times a company should stand behind its product and take pride in it. The extenuating circumstance is that this piece of equipment, essentially a small computer that serves one purpose only and cost about $1500, has stopped working in less than 3 years. My iMac purchased in 2012 is still running fine, as are various other pieces of computer and audio equipment throughout my house. I understand that nothing lasts forever, but really, this seems ridiculous for this piece of equipment to fail so quickly. Also, because of that failure, I have lost and will probably end up losing about a quarter of the year that I pay Roon an annual fee for. That is this year, not 3 years ago. Is Roon going to refund my subscription pro rata for loss of use? Is the customer right about anything anymore?
As to the local store, they tell me they are sending the nucleus to Roon for repair, that’s supposedly where they got the $199 quote. Wes, can you determine if that is accurate?

And you deserve special treatment vs other customers because why?

1 Like

Your point isn’t lost to me but I think you’re fighting a losing battle.

Hard drives fail. Yours failed outside of warranty - and I don’t think I’ve ever bought a drive with more than a one year warranty (or a PC for that matter)

For what it’s worth I’ve seen a fair number of threads here of Nucleus’ with failed drives but I have no idea what percentage of total uses this is happening to. It may well be within expected tolerances.

Your Roon subscription was valid the entire time and you could have installed Roon on a different core.

1 Like

OMG I really didn’t intend to get into an internet battle about my Roon Nucleus issue. For the record, I never said I deserve special treatment. I would hope Roon would give similar consideration to ANY customer in a similar situation.

Just a little additional observation; this thread has been marked as ‘Solved’ and will automatically close two days after the last reply. Don’t quite understand why support would insist in marking support threads as solved, when the issue is still clearly open and unresolved.

Anyway, if you want to keep the thread alive (as you have been warned to not open any more threads), just post every day an update…

They don’t. They follow their stated warranty. You aren’t the first person to have an issue with your Nucleus after the warranty is over. I chose to repair mine myself.

I suspect someone marked it solved as the solution is to return for repair and an RMA has been issued. There is nothing else for the 4 person Roon @support team to do here.

2 Likes

I don’t get the idea of buying a Nucleus but I maybe don’t have to. Rock is the more reasonable way to do Roon, but this is another topic.

Given that Nucleus customers are happy to spend some extra - why don’t jump Roon onto such a business opportunity and extend hardware service for a certain fee beyond the usual warranty period? Shipping the usual $30 spare part (SSD) and some extra attention on the phone could be a win/win?!

There is nothing further for Roon to do here. Topic has been solved and closed.

I hope your Nucleus repair goes well Alan.

6 Likes