Nucleus Storage Folder Questions

I changed out from using a 1TB “external” hard drive on my nucleus to a 1TB “internal” solid state drive in Dec 2023. Previously I had the external hard drive backing up to a buffalo NAS model #LS220DB.

I don’t have a lot of computer experiencer & would appreciate someone walkling me thru in layman’s terms (aka like I’m your 72 year old Uncle)

Roon watched storage folders I’m showing 2 folders:

1. New Nucleus Internal Storage - organization & playlist is accurate & I’m happy with the playlist and album count in this folder - (8840 tracks / 1984 Qobuz albums + 379 albums in the internal storage which brings the total albums to 2363)

2. NAS Shared (Roon Music Folder) - (8244 tracks / 1984 Qobuz albums + 211 albums for 2195 total albums)

Can I replace the (Nucleus Internal Storage folder) with my Roon music folder on the NAS and just use that folder (without using the Roon music folder) for back-ups

OR

Can I delete the NAS Shared folder in its entirety from my Storage folder without it inadvertently deleting items from my Internal storage folder?

And then how to install back on NAS?

Would appreciate any insight - thank you for your help!

My preference would be to disable the NAS as a watched folder and use the internal drive for my music files. Then, I would point the Roon backup system at the NAS. Or, I might backup to the external drive. That’s a matter of your preference.

I guess I should ask, are the albums on the internal drive the same ones as on the NAS or different ones. I would want them all on the internal drive. Of course, you probably want all of your own music files backed up somewhere outside of Roon, in addition.

And just to be clear, the Roon database backup will include your links to Qobuz and/or Tidal files, but not your local music files. You need to back those up yourself.

Roon backups cannot be made to an internal storage drive. To make database backups you need to have an external USB hard drive or backup to a network location. You can set up a new location on your NAS just for backups, but, you should never backup the database to a Roon watched music folder.

Thanks Jim - I’m working on cleaning up the files & may circle back with a couple of additional questions. Your insight is much appreciated.

1 Like