Roon 2.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti system router, switch, Netgear modem

Connected Audio Devices

Nucleus+ connected by ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

No internal storage

Description of Issue

Rebooted from home page. Got a failure message. Tried restarting but stuck in a reboot loop with the “block” icon continuously flashing. Lights on back are normal. Worked flawlessly for years. Had to do reboot as Roon would not add music files to queue. Had done this before multiple times. No changes made to network settings.

A screen print of the message and (if you can) of the Web GUI might be helpful.

Well, that wasn’t much use. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you hook a monitor up to the Nucleus and reboot, do you get a display?

No signal from either HDMI A or B with shutdown and turn on.

That indicates to me that your M.2 drive that contains the OS has died.

If you’ve had it longer than two years, then your warranty is up.

You can take it to a computer shop to put in a new M.2 or do it yourself.

For the ins and outs of that, see my post here.

As always, you should probably wait for @support to get back to you.

Thank you very much for your help.
No word from @support.

1 Like

I would like to replace with a Samsung M.2 ssd. What exact configuration will work for my Rev B Nucleus +? Thanks in advance.

Any M.2 NVMe SSD should work. I’m using a Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD 256GB. A smaller one, say 128GB, would be enough.

Are there any other parts required to install?

No, just a teeny tiny screwdriver to deal with the microscopic screw that holds the M.2 in place. I would put heat sinks on, but that’s up to you.

Don’t forget that you need to load ROCK and then contact @benjamin to update the Nucleus to the proper heat mitigating software.

1 Like

Installed M.2 chip and followed instructions for the BIOS. Loading ROCK image and it has taken more than 2 hours and it is not finished. Just a screen of white dots. I do not believe it should take this long. Any thoughts? Thank you.

I’m afraid it’s possible that your motherboard could be dead.

Let’s see what the professionals have to say before you go any further.

Don’t know where you are, but in Amerika it’s the week we celebrate screwing over the First Nations’ peoples. So, @support might not get to this in awhile.

Edit: It occurs to me to opine that if your motherboard is dead and you are off warranty, it will probably be cheaper for you buy a NUC rather than repairing the Nucleus…

You’ve already got the M2 and RAM (from the Nucleus). :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hey @Alan_Skolnick,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, it looks like your Nucleus+ is back online, are you still running into issues here?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

Yes the new M.2 chip worked. But…it is not recognized as a boot drive. I have tried everything including updating the BIOS which helped get rid of 2 network drives. I get as far as trying to load ROCK via GRUB and it knows it is BOOT drive on USB, but all I get is screens of white dots. The Samsung 980 256 GB M.2 is recognized in the M.2 slot. I doubt it is the motherboard since the BIOS upgrade went without a hitch. What do you suggest next? Thanks. Alan

Hey @Alan_Skolnick,

It looks like we’ve been able to connect to your Nucleus+, are you still running into this looping issue? Or, is it an issue where it’s just RoonServer restarting and the Nucleus remains powered on?

1 Like