Nucleus suddenly thinks 75% of my library is corrupt

Thanks so much for your advice. Will report back later today!

2 Likes

Hi again, Geoff.

An interim update: so far, so good! I have transcoded about 150 of my mp3 albums to flac and Roon now seems to be perfectly content with them. Many, many thanks again for letting me know that Roon doesnā€™t like mp3 or wma. (Iā€™m embarrassed I didnā€™t pick this up in months of usage!) I strongly suspect everything will go smoothly from here.

All the best,
Steve

1 Like

Well, MP3 format is in general supported (if the CODECs are installed in the OS), but some particular MP3 files can give problems on Linux (and the Nucleus uses an OS based on Linux). Converting them to FLAC should help.

Hereā€™s the official word on what file formats are supported in Roon:

1 Like

Hey @Geoff_Coupe thank you for helping consistently with such relevant information - we know for a fact that it helped (at least partially). Weā€™re grateful :pray:

@Steven_Erwin, welcome to Roon :wave: (two weeks too late)

I couldnā€™t be happier to see how much youā€™ve engaged on community and I canā€™t thank you enough for your efforts in setting up Roon in your system. I hope things moved forward just as good as they started.

Please, let us know if we can help with anything else now :slight_smile:

PS: I couldnā€™t post my reply without thanking @AnimalOnDrums, @Anthony_B , @Nepherte and @xxx for their contributions! Weā€™re grateful :blush:

As this topic winds down, one question remains strangely up in the air: Can Roon/Nucleus play mp3 files stored on an internal installed drive? I had many strange problems when I originally tried to do this (see this thread) and after following Geoffā€™s suggestion and transcoding them all to flac, those problems were resolved. But was that step really necessary or were the problems caused, perhaps, by a small subset of files?

The documentation does not say mp3 files are supported on a Nucleus. Nevertheless, I played dozens or hundreds of mp3s on my Nucleus before my problems started. Geoff said ā€œsome particular mp3 filesā€ can create trouble on a Nucleus. Can anyone elaborate on this or, even better, describe their own experience with mp3s on a Nucleus? Thanks, all.

Once you get all the flac files confirmed working, do a batch convert to mp3 and drop them in. :wink:

Hereā€™s some examples of skipped MP3 files that canā€™t be read on a Linux system (these are on my ROCK Core music storage drive) - but which can be read on a Windows system. AFAIK, itā€™s because of a difference between the Linux and Windows MP3 decoders. Thereā€™s something about the way the MP3 files have been encoded originally that upsets the Linux decoder.

Iā€™ll get round to trying to fix them one dayā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the screenshot, Geoff. Thatā€™s exactly the same issue that I encountered. My conclusion is that I should stick with flacs and not bother sorting out which mp3s work and which donā€™t.

Now, if I could only backup those flacs. Sigh.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.