Nucleus watch file with Mac

Ah, OK - then let’s see what the total is once the activity icon (the rotating arc at the top right of the screen next to the Bookmark icon) disappears…

It scanned a numbers that large and I’m over 4200 and counting, so is the above internal file watch redundant?

So if I did this correctly then when a new album(file) is added to Apple Music roon will see it and update?

Thanks for your patience, this was unusually difficult for me to get to this point on this

Um, not sure what you mean by “redundant”? It’s a check - Roon is telling you the number of tracks that it has found in the Watched folder (and the folders contained within it).

Yes, it will - but because it’s a network share, it may not see it immediately, but within 4 hours at the default rescan setting. This can be adjusted here (accessed via the “Edit” option in the “3 dots” menu):

You can also do a “Force rescan” from that menu to import the files immediately into Roon’s library.

Great, it’s still counting so I guess I’m there thanks again

No problem.

BTW, I see now what you mean by your “redundant” question - you’re asking if the files in the internal storage of the Nucleus are redundant… Well, what are these files? if they are copies of the files that are contained in your Apple Music folders, then we’re back to the answer I first gave - you’re going to get albums duplicated in your library…

If this is the case, then personally, I would drop the networked Watched Folder and just keep the Internal Storage folder.

This does mean that when you add new albums to your Apple Music folder, you need to also copy them to your Nucleus manually. However, it does also mean that you have effectively a backup of all the music files in your Nucleus library that is held on your Mac… Also, copying files to the Nucleus - these are added to your Library immediately; no need to wait up to 4 hours.

I’m off to bed now. I’ll follow up tomorrow with you if necessary…

That’s exactly what happened, the files doubled.

So to be clear there is no way to rip cd’s once and cover into both the nucleus internal ssd and my Apple Music on my Mac.

if that’s the case then you recommend leaving like I had it with just the internal file. It says its a watch file, so I take it that means if I rip a cd to the internal ssd Roon will see it period?

On the off chance that Geoff might still be in bed I’m going to take a chance and answer.

There is no ‘easy’ way to do what you’re asking to do. Have files automagically added to the Nucleus disk when iTunes rips them.

If you were ripping them with an alternative program like dbpoweramp you would create a directory with the cd music files in which you could then add to the Nucleus and iTunes in 2 files copying operations. I do this to maintain 2 identical libraries.

It would make sense to have your music files on the nucleus disk. If you want to use iTunes to play music then you should have a copy of those files on the disk local to your itunes collection as well.

Using iTunes to rip CD’s is not optimal as they can be ripped with errors which iTunes doesn’t bother to check for. When I say ‘can be’ I mean there will be a small number that are, if you rip 100 maybe 1 or 2 will have small problems, some might be very bad.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I am truly sorry to take up everyones time. Im usually better with this stuff as I have been an audiophile before there was a word for it. I stepped away for a couple of years and need to re-acclimate to working with files and networks etc.

The reason for my search is once upon a time a couple of years ago I took my 1000 cd library of mostly out of “print” cd’s loaded them into what was then iTunes and had my Roon nucleus get a copy via watch file. Now APPLE music does not work as well in that regard as iTunes did .

I bought dbpower and use it to rip to mu nucleus internal ssd but want to make sure I can keep both databases the same. When im visiting relative around the country and travel with a DAP I don’t want to necessarily depend on a good wi-fi connection so I want a perfect copy of my files on the device via nucleus load. Anyway that’s what I was trying to accomplish

So, DBpower rips to nucleus, If I have to manually also import to Apple Music so be it, I am making the assumption that Apple Music as time goes on will be a much better player in the audiophile world so I don’t want to exclude my files from being their. In that case should I delete the network connection and leave the internal storage file? It says its watch file, what is it watching?awatch

Point of clarification, I do rip using DBPower. Did I understand one rip process can be directed to create two file? or you just manually do it twice?

With dBpoweramp, one rip will produce one album folder and a set of track files within it (plus a JPEG of the album cover). So if you want the album folder in two places, you’re going to have to do one copy operation to put a copy in the second location.

Personally, I would setup dBpoweramp to rip into the iTunes folder on your Mac, then do a manual copy of the resulting album folder to your Nucleus.

The reason for doing it this way is that ripping is a relatively slow process, and if you set dBpoweramp to rip to the SSD of your Nucleus, then Roon sees tracks appearing one by one. It tries to idenitfy the album before the rip process is completed, and this sometimes confuses the identification process. Far better to rip to a folder that is not a Roon Watched Folder and then copy the completed album across.

It would be great to find out that someone has a clever way of keeping the 2 folders the same. I’ve got a backup program that could do it if I knew and trusted it well enough!

Having to copy the file onto the Nucleus is part of my process. I found I couldn’t just drop folders onto the Roon icon.

I use Finder and then the menu item GO->Connect To Server.

You need to connect as a guest to the Roon server which should be easy enough to find in the dropdown box. This opens a finder window or tab.

Navigate to the storage directory of your Nucleus.

You can now drop files easily from one window to the other.

Thanks, Makes sense Ill set it up that way.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.