Nvidia Shield TV and Roon Remote

surprised me that roon shows 94/24 as available but just doesnt.
its capable of 192/24 if the app is customised by the developer
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4410/~/how-do-i-play-high-resolution-audio-on-my-shield-tv%3F

missed potential but obviously the devs have other priorities…

oh well…

2 Likes

OMG That would be amazing! Plex already runs on the shield but Roon core would be a dream. I’m going to calm down now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Id be happy with endpoint over core. Ideally you want to separate the two. Transport from the Nas to the dac(av amp) would be perfect and easier to achieve (minor changes to current existing room remote app). Whereas core would require a lot of work for little benefit - shield is a streaming device not a server, and works best this way…

The reason I value core over endpoint is because the shield is great bit of kit but it will never sound as good as purpose built audio equipment. Running core would mean I can finally turn my PC off that gobbles electricity in comparison.

“shield is a streaming device not a server” - Tell that to Plex

Sure i get what you are saying but…
(based on my general technical knowledge) - it would be much less work to make the existing remote work on shield.
Too make it run core as well would involve writing everything including services (huge project with lots of work)

Android tv is designed as a streaming device and is a bit of a pain running server (Plex did not work well as a server for me, and it simply doesn’t hold as much storage as my custom built 4TB raid Nas(nearly full), and doesn’t have as many resources for transcoding)

If room remote on android is a minimal use case (not something I agree with) then running core on it definitely is. Indeed it is specifically advised to keep endpoints separated from core…

Asking for too much and getting nothing is worse than asking for a little and getting something (Brexit analogy here :wink: - that’s not to say that if room remote is developed they could work on adding core. But at the moment it’s not looking likely that anything will appear at all (hoping I’m wrong) so …

I do think remote could be done quite easily given they have the basic sorted thanks to the android app. I think what we both want it too niche to be considered regardless.

If either one of our requests came true I would be grateful but I wouldn’t want it to impact development of the core experience in any way.

Can you say a bit more about what you are thinking about here? I assume this was in reference to Roon on the Nvidia Shield (as opposed to Android devices as a control for Roon)?

I’m confused by some of the discussion here… are people talking about the Shield as a Roon Core device? The Shield as a Roon endpoint? Or, being able to control Roon using the Shield’s handheld remote control?

So this thread is about roon remote. Specifically it is about Nvidia shield. However obviously shield is standard android TV OS (which is basically standard android with layout tweaks and remote control instead of touchscreen), so anything produced could be used on other devices (Sony oled, Philips TV, dune 4k, Google 4k, Amazon fire, etc. Obviously for TVs you can use ARC to send the audio signal back to an av amplifier). Separately the shield has the capability to send digital/lossless over hdmi at 192khz/24 (e.g. to av amplifier) as well as supporting several usb dacs. This is specifically a capability of the shield (link above). I think it is part of the more recent hdmi specifications so in theory would apply to other android TV devices with hdmi output. So, in my eyes this thread is about (prioritised as I would plan in stages, if I was a developer over longer terms)…

1. Add Support for Android tv (so the app can be installed by Google play) - just being able to install and use device as a roon endpoint. This would remove the pain of side loading, allow for auto updating, allow for running as a service (potentially) and at the same time the app could fill the screen. This could be done very quickly with almost no changes/work (video above from Google IO 2016).

2. Further customisation to add in capabilities of 24/96 which would be passed losslessly over hdmi to the amplifier or soundbar e.g. Sonos obviously depending on capability of the device (my av amp has a good cirrus DAC with 192/24). Current casting to e.g. shield results in non-lossless as it converts 96/24 to 48 in the shield by default. Yes there is better audio with Chromecast audio and it’s ok. But the majority of cast users own the hdmi version. The new developer 4k cast is also hdmi so this is clearly the long term focus of Google development including android TV. Passing losslessly to the upstream device is the game changer for me as it brings a lossless roon endpoint/transport to millions of devices if TVs and all hdmi android TVs are included e.g. dune 4k, Sony oled, Phillips etc are included. As a minimum it is definitely possible on the shield and already working for e.g. Kodi. Added benefit of being able to play music without having to change input source on the amp between TV and separate dedicated transport (seems crazy that I have to have a separate device/input (pi with Allo digital spdif/coax connected to the same amp as the shield and using its dac) for music when my shield is more than capable of passing a digital stream untouched. The shield also supports stereo output to usb DAC if some prefer this route (e.g. they have a good DAC that isn’t roon ready (obviously it would need to be supported by android/shield but there seem to be quite a few and plenty of settings in the shield to manage this).

3. Thereafter you could add a better interface i.e. to control what is playing using the TV/shield/remote/android TV app. (For me this is a lower priority than being able to play the music as use the android app on my phone to control roon, but it would be good to have a simple now playing, ffwd, rewind, volume (for me volume on the shield controls the amp volume directly by hdmi-cec but this doesn’t work via casting to the shield).

4. Last if all - some people want to use the shield as a roon core. Personally it’s not something I want, and not the subject of this thread, but it doesn’t invalidate their request.

3 Likes