Nvidia Shield TV and Roon Remote

Now there is Chromecast support I can’t see this happening as its a small user base and you can use it as an endpoint now, but would be nice to have the remote option I guess.

Chromecast doesn’t support gapless playback although otherwise it works fine e.g. via Google play music.

Ignoring the 10ft interface - primarily I want is to use the device as an endpoint.

So my fix was to install sbplayer and Logitech media server. Works great although some problems when the shield goes to power saving (specifically this happens if e g. I skip a track - am sure if can adjust this but too lazy as it works ok).

It would be good to know if sbplayer can work as an endpoint for roon (my search indicates not officially supported but probably works)?

So… As much as I’d like roon its a big gamble, and gonna hold off until there is a properly supported solution. Many many requests for this so assume the developers will devote a some time at some point (fingers crossed)…

Roon via Chromecast is gapless.

ill certainly give it a go if i get time - if it works then itll be a decent workaround.

I still think would be better if there was a “proper” option to allow android tv to work. For example the shield isnt fully chromecast because it works via hdmi (apparently why you cant add it to groups etc)

fingers crossed

Yeah it’s likely to only play upto 48khz even though it’s capable of 192khz/24 bit.

You can only group a Chromecast with another Chromecast anyway not with anything else so if you only have one shield it’s a moot point.

as long as it plays music with gapless and i can control from my phone im happy in the short term

1 Like

Yeah, it’s only 48khz. Is that a chromecast limitation?

Only on TV versions. The audio ones support up to 96/24

So roon up and running via Chromecast. Not terrible but the volume doesn’t work properly, maybe a bug outside of roon. As above limitation to the sample rate which is a shame. Nice that it shows some track info on the screen.

Side loaded the app - real pain and can’t quick launch etc although I could see it as an endpoint. Couldn’t get through the startup screens - perhaps a usb mouse and/or keyboard might help.

Generally it’s ok but as it stands only marginally better than lms.

Obviously proper endpoint service would be better. If there was another device similar to shield that was supported with higher sample rate and working volume, would also be great. Using the amp (arcam avr) directly would also be good. If there were plans for future it (even if a long way off) it would also inspire confidence…

If use volume you wont get bit perfect playback. Chromecast needs to be set at 100% for bit perfect playback. Not had any issue with the shield myself works fine but is limited to 48khz max. If you want Chromecast and 96khz which is the max then you need the Audio puck.

My current plan is to have Shield w/Emby connected to XMC-1 pre/pro via HDMI for video, and use Roon for music (ROCK & ethernet to USB box).,

I have a win10 pc built like a gaming PC for Emby Server and Big Drives for video and music. ROCK will access music files of the PC which should look like network attached drives.

I am hoping I can also connect ROCK via HDMI to another input on my pre/pro for MC music.

I currently use the win10 PC as a HTPC with USB to pre/pro for stereo music and HDMI to pre/pro for video and MC music using JRiver and Emby.

I have a laptop, Surface, ipad and phone as control options.

Hi Simon,

Not in my case - volume on the shield is actually the volume on the amplifier (via hdmi-cec).

Works fine on the Android tv remote app(amp volume displays onscreen). With roon I can see the amp volume on screen(so partially working) but it doesn’t move up and down, just displays on the screen briefly.

Annoying about the 48khz and volume. Proper app would also allow my harmony remote to control things. All nice to have rather than critical. Presumably it would also potentially allow for mqa. Volume fix would be good but may Nvidia dependent - I’ll do some testing at some point, but for now can use the android TV remote app for the volume.

Hi Vectra,
Same as me - shield is a massive improvement over windows as htpc. I found jriver a pita even though I had the license I couldn’t get things to work as I wanted. The same problem with a few usb dacs (although not tried DAC in shield, but hate input switching on amps, particularly with hdmi being completely capable. I tried emby many times (even getting lifetime) but preferred Plex for a few reasons. Primarily because lifetime membership makes accessing remotely fantastic. Have streamed from UK to Greece with good quality when on holiday! Emby probably improved since I last used, and may test again, but no real issues with plex. I have hdhomerun for broadcast TV which although supported by plesk and emby, I find works best in the native android live app which is fantastic (all though less used these days with iPlayer, Netflix and prime all on the shield).

Personally I have win10 with m.2 ssd for system and hybrid disks for data. This is running roon (previously lms), Plex server, media and a number of other services. Tried running Plex server on shield yesterday and it was not good, and went back to running it on the windows Nas - in case you try - shield only supports smb1 which needs enabling in control panel -> add remove programs -> features. I find that running server on the same system as media is infinitely better (faster, better quality, even with good gigabit network cabling). Worth investing in something reasonably powerful with quad core for the server/Nas (over say a Synology/qnap pro) as transcoding is never an issue (transcoding is used often for sound as well as video to all different screens (ipad, 3xandroid, second tv, 2 laptops), throughout the house. Plex is very good for pausing and resuming on different devices.

Proper app would mean pure digital through to the amp DAC which in turn means we get 192khz/24. It also means I can use the dirac live (testing the v.2 beta now and it’s good) for room correction.

Considered bluesound node or equivalent, but using then you have to go to 48khz via spdif or put up with digital -> analogue (bluesound) -> digital (arcam/amp) -> digital (dirac)-> analogue
Messy!

Ok so second try with app.

1. Nvidia have released a new app that works as a remote for the shield and adds mouse and keyboard.
  2. Mounted disk storage on Nas locally and installed APK using es explorer
  3. Installed launcher app from store so I can start the roon app easily and clicked connect on the app
  4. On the server changed so not hidden/private and set to 96/24

Ok so this is what others have posted, but I thought worth mentioning as the Nvidia remote and launcher made this much easier, along with mounted storage removing the need for usb.

Not sure why I didn’t get the system lag from a few days ago, the only bit I changed was using the virtual mouse to click the connect version.

Notes:
Volume like with sbplayer doesn’t control the amp (hdmi-cec) volume but I can use the remote app (i.e. not a real problem.

Screen size (as noted by others). Once launched just hide the app using home button and music still plays.

Obviously it can’t be launched directly and won’t update as not installed via play store.

Really confused this app isn’t made available on the store as it’s good enough to get by without any changes using the shield remote. Obviously a simple screen like with cast would be cool, but the 96/24 is what I really wanted/needed.

Good enough for me now to go ahead with lifetime, and hopefully a developer will take pity on the shield users in the future :wink:

Just wondering why your bothering installing Roon on the shield when you can play straight to it?

A Roon app for the Shield would be awesome. 10’ interface with a handheld remote would be nice to have sometimes. More importantly, I control my Shield with my Control4 system… thus a Roon app for the Shield would give me the ability to control Roon with my Control4 system! As it stands, I’m saving up for a Nucleus for the sole reason that it would give me ability to control Roon using Control4.

1 Like

because the ceiling for playing is increased to 96/24 as opposed to 48khz (need to check this is working on the amp but the signal path is showing correctly)
i have music that is recorded at a higher sample rate which is (otherwise) presumably downsampled by roon then cast

so with the app, the output (for most tracks) is bitperfect straight to the dac on the arcam
it also means it is sent via the roon transport (RAAT)

yes its ocd, but also the logical way of doing things as opposed to;
buying a second dac
having to switch the av amp input just to play music

its the same as when i used sbplayer, but with slightly higher quality assurance during the transport and playing at 96 not 48 (sbplayer has real problems (for me) on the shield when the sample rate is increased.

why would i not want to do this :slight_smile:

obviously in the future this could be improved futher both in the sample rate (192 is i believe the shield max) and the experience (google play release, proper screen size etc), mqa(??)

https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

Ok so some further testing and although the app shows 96/24 the amp still shows 48. So at this point if not bothered about bitperfect then cast which works well.

Obviously some effort required by Devs to make an android tv version and you would have a great bitperfect client for not only shield but also any android TV implementation (sony/philips/etc TVs, dune and other set top boxes etc).

As this may never happen (fingers crossed though) I have bought a pi with Allo digione going straight to my amp/dac (amp shows correct sample rate per track). I have set the video for the input to display the shield as then I can use the hdmi-cec on the shield to see the volume level. I have noted that a developer mentioned in a separate thread potentially roon may cast a “now playing” screen without audio which would be a bonus .

I think only the native android player or Google play music app can play at higher than 48khz on the Shield. I could never get it to work higher using sbplayer or squeezelite.