Off button does not turn Meridian System Off

I love Roon. It has connected me to my music collection in a way I haven’t felt since buying albums and devouring the liner notes as I played them for the first time. Even better, it’s shown me interconnections between artists and other players in the music industry I never imagined.

As a Meridian owner, you can imagine my audio system is important to me. I have invested significantly in automation equipment to link all of my A/V equipment. Roon’s volume and mute controls work great with my system, but the power button does nothing but stop play. There’s no reason it couldn’t turn the Meridian system off, if only the proper command were issued. In fact, if you need the commend, I can probably provide it if you’ll let me know what format you need.

Starting music in Roon turns my system on, but I have to find another remote device to turn the system off until this commend is fixed - certainly not as elegant as one would want.

Thanks,

John

@John_McElfresh, I have an 861v8 with an ID41 and two MS600’s and Roon turns them on and off every time, it has worked since the initial release, I suspect it may be a config issue.

Russ

I wonder what sort of config issue? I have an MC200 with reviver connected to my G68. When I use ControlMac or Roon to start the system by playing music, there’s no problem. Likewise, both ControlMac and Roon can control volume, which tells me the control signal is reaching the system from the MC200. The only command that doesn’t work is OFF. I can turn the system off using the virtual MSR, a real MSR or my systems RTI control.

Suggestions?

I’ve got an 808.5 with ID41 and it starts/switches over to Roon when I start playing something, just as my C15 would initiate playback. But my C15 would not “turn off” the 808.5 either (as far as I know); I’ve always had to do it manually or via a virtual or real MSR.

Out of curiosity, what would constitute an “Off” command in Roon? I actually would prefer a Stop button or something that stopped playing and cleared the queue AND the currently playing track, instead of only a Pause and Clear Queue. Of course, I may easily be missing something, also.

Jerry

Not sure Roon could easily do all that you want it to do (clear queue, etc.) All I’m looking for is for it to turn off the Meridian Audio system just like an MSR OFF commend would do. I can do it many ways, but when I use my iPad of Mac to start Roon (and hence, start the system) I’d like it to turn the system off as weell.

John

My wish is just OCD stuff–not very important in the scheme of things. But I do wonder what you envision Roon adding that would be Meridian-specific–what would one select in Roon to trigger this MSR OFF command? I do like the fact that when my ID41 sees a signal, it turns the 808 on automatically–and that my Meridian remote controls the basic commands within Roon. But I’m failing to understand the logic for Roon to have a specific Meridian “off” function, or what would trigger it. Probably missing something and not my business anyway…

Thanks.

@John_McElfresh
As with many others here, I also have a Meridian system and was (initially) very frustrated hearing that almost everyone could control Roon with their MSR+ and I couldn’t.

Updating my ID41 card to the latest firmware (v163) fixed it and Roon also switches my complete system on & off, as well as controlling volume / skipping tracks etc.
As an aside, updating Meridian (streaming) kit without having a Sooloos core is a mission in itself…

Worth checking that your MC200 is definitely up-to-date. Apart from that, it’s probably worth asking on MeridianUnplugged or checking with Robert.W. that your Reviver isn’t influencing this behaviour ?

Sorry to be so obtuse, but what action exactly do you take within Roon to turn off your Meridian endpoint? That’s what I’m failing to understand.

@jpowell, on the bottom right of the Roon screen is the volume control (Speaker icon) click on it and you will see the volume + and - controls to the right of these is the power icon, click it and the selected zone goes into standby.

Russ

Fantastic! I never realized that was there–duh!

Thanks.

:smiley:

Russ

Thanks so much for your help, I will check on the firmware in my MC200. How do I fond out what’s the “latest”?

John

I think I recall that only an 861v.8 processor can be turned off in a Sooloos operating environment. While my G61R and 861.v4 power on from the Sooloos app, they do not power off. Sound like Roon behaves this way as well.

Perhaps Roon could send both the command to turn off the newer and older systems… I know the command to turn off the G68 can be sent, because other programs can send it. (or offer a selection of commands).

John

I know this has got to be a small issue, but, after some research, it looks like the only difference in the commends is that one is a FUNCTION/STANDBY commend and the other is simply STANDBY. For Meridian users who need whichever Roon is NOT providing, I’d love the chance to select which commend is sent when I try to turn off my system (or perhaps both could be sent, as they are discrete codes).

Thanks,

John

When Roon speaks to Meridian devices, it sends a “standby” command over Meridian’s audio control protocol. Unlike some of Meridian’s older protocols, this one does not have support flavors of standby. This protocol also does not allow us to send Comms or MSR style commands directly, which is what you are suggesting we do to solve the problem.

Basically: it’s up to the firmware on the MS200/ID40/ID41/MS600/etc to turn “standby” into the appropriate command (or commands) for whatever device that they are speaking to.

First thing to check is that your MS200 firmware is up to date (navigate to the IP Address of the MS200 in a web browser–the firmware version will be on the configuration page). 164 is the current revision. If it’s not up to date, Meridian provides a configuration tool that can update it for you.

If it still isn’t working with the latest stuff, I recommend contacting Meridian for a remedy.

I think I recall that only an 861v.8 processor can be turned off in a Sooloos operating environment. While my G61R and 861.v4 power on from the Sooloos app, they do not power off. Sound like Roon behaves this way as well.

This makes it sound like Roon and Sooloos might be suffering from the same bug/limitation.

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I’ll contact Meridian.

John