Older Squeezebox support (SB1 text version)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK / Roon v1.7(555) RoonOS v1.0(186)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ROCK connected to router via wired ethernet
Some endpoints are wired, some are wireless

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SqueezeBox Receiver via Squeezebox Streaming
2 x SqueezeBox3 via Squeezebox Streaming
SqueezeBox2 via Squeezebox Streaming
Roon Bridge on Mac
Roon Bridge on PC

Description Of Issue

All the above works fine.
I’ve just got hold of a SqueezeBox1 (text version, firmware v40), and I can’t get it to connect to Roon. I fired up LMS, and it works fine there.
With Roon I get an error message like “SlimProto error length 00ff”, and then the device is pretty much locked up and needs a reboot.
When setting up the device, it does find Roon automatically, but when I try to connect I get the above error.

Research led me here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

Between the SqueezeBox1 and SqueezeBox2 it looks like SlimDevices developed a new version of SlimServer (then SqueezeCenter, now LMS) as the compatible version jumps from v5.0 to v6.0
Am I correct in thinking that Roon only emulates LMS v6.0+ ?

I know this is an edge case, but are there any plans to support older SqueezeBoxes? Is there anything that can be done with an Extension? I have 20 years programming experience and would love to get stuck in if I can get some pointers to the protocol documentation.

Thanks.

Excuse the condition of the player, I’ve not cleaned it up yet…

Add images

Hi @Chalky,

Thanks for reaching out! Can I please ask that you reproduce this issue, note the exact local time + date you do this and then send me a copy of your ROCK logs by using these instructions? Once I have those, I can loop in QA to see if anything can be done, thanks!

Hi @Chalky,

I spoke to the hardware team regarding this device and they have confirmed that it is indeed unsupported, and not much can be done to support this device. Any other questions, just let us know!

Ok, thank you @noris
I won’t bother sending in the log files in that case.

Can the hardware team share any protocol information for my own use?

Hi @Chalky,

I spoke to the hardware team this morning regarding your inquiry and they have confirmed that it is unfortunately not possible to add this device to Roon naively, as it is not a supported model.

It would be better to instead add a inexpensive Roon Bridge device (such as a Rasberry Pi) and have that connected to your Squeeze Box input if it has other inputs.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.