On which Synology NAS can the Roon core be installed

with the new DS923-AMD Ryzen, we go to PCI Gen3… x times faster (vs DS920) and since DSM 7.2, we can use Synology NVMe M.2 SSDs to create a volume for Roon-Core (before AMD + DSM7.2, M2s could only be used for read/write cache)

has anyone compared this M.2 solution with Roon-Core on a USB stick?

Hi
Do you have any info about compatibility with Roon in AMD Ryzen R1600 based Synology RS422+ ?

With only 2GB of RAM not a choice I would make or recommend.

The bigger brother RS822+ with some additional RAM would be a better choice.
I’m running smoothly on an RS1221+ with 20GB.

Of course everything depends on you library size, number of zones and DSP requirements.

1 Like

DS918+ here.

Ran ROON in a docker for years and also locally on NAS. Its fine without DSP, but it is actually noticeably SLOW compared to picking up an old NUC for $300 and running ROCK.

Honestly, the speed difference is insane. And i have a tiny library, like 10k tracks local.

The NUC makes the interface feel more like spotify speed etc. instead of slow old application on a windows xp machine

I`m running Roon on 920+ for a good year and have had zero issues with it. I dont have an insane library, but current is around 2000ish local albums and 1000ish streaming albums.

I use NAS for many things (Plex, backup, audiobooks, Calibre, Photos etc). Its running 24/7

https://roononnas.org/en/roon-on-nas/

3 Likes

Running in Docker is fairly more resource-intensive than running natively using Roon On NAS. Pardon me if I forgot and you mentioned this before, but what issues did you have running Roon On NAS?

I run on a 918+ with 44,000+ tracks totaling over 2TB and it runs smooth and fast.

It’s purely because on nas with spinning disks it’s not snappy. A low spec pentium low power cpu on raid 5 spinning disks is just plain bad for a database. Moving to rock in nuc with m2 ssd was lightning faster and snappier but that seems obvious to me as better proper cpu and m2 nvme disk speed

Ah ok. I run the database off of an eSATA connected SSD.

I compared Roon-on-NAS with Roon-on-Nuc +NAS
for me, with my library, both hardware works just as well!
NAS = new Synology DS923+ and DSM7.2 (Roon core on usb key)
Intel NUC = I3 - SSD with Windows or Rock (the latter easier to manage)
library size = 2100 ripped CDs
my findings:

• a single Nas costs less (than 2 devices)
  • a single Nas pollutes less (than 2 devices)
  • the Nas is in the wine cellar, I can’t hear it
  • the limitations do not concern me (DSD256, multi-room, HQP,…)
  • Syno DSM 7.2 offers everything (backup, redundancy, Wol, …) and is stable

finally, I unplugged the Nuc I3 which adds nothing !
but maybe there is something i don’t understand?

1 Like

I ran Roon very successfully on all spinning discs for quite a while, albeit a lot of them in RAID10.

Tried a USB SSD for the DB, then eventually SSDs in an expansion bay.

Didn’t notice any difference in performance with the different setups.

My NAS does do a few different jobs, though and the drives are always spinning.

1 Like

@Graeme_Finlayson - I did too. With a good RAID setup, the performance difference from SSD is genuine, but relatively small and definitely overstated.

2 Likes