One Click Play Please [Delivered]

[quote=“Mystic, post:2, topic:2100, full:true”]
+1 for this. I’ve been thinking the same thing. i like the idea of adding a small play icon when you hover the mouse over the bottom part of the album artwork.
[/quote] change of heart?

[quote=“Mystic, post:40, topic:2100”]
… I truly can’t believe how this is such a big deal for y
[/quote]what’s it to you?

Yes, total change of heart… At the start of using Roon I didn’t know what a queue or radio was and the advantage of having them because I was just so use to the way iTunes worked by only pressing the album and play but now I’ve grown to love the 3 additional features Roon has above just Play Now.

You’re right it shouldn’t matter to me, but it just seems so trivial and personally hope Roon put their resources to addressing metadata issues and more important features rather than something IMO that doesn’t change anything for the better… but you’re right everybody works different and I said my opinion, so I’m done with it.

Having worked in IT and on software for many years, there will always be a long backlog of feature requests. Some would add new functionality and some to improve existing functionality. Some are easier to tackle than others. Some make more sense than others. I think it’s awesome that Roon Labs so actively solicits for this input (many shops would never do so). It takes exceptional insight and planning to manage a dynamic roadmap. But the best shops do, and the cream will rise.

If there was a one click way to start Play immediately, would I use it? Probably. Would it make my list of things I’d love to see from Roon. Nope.

Hi Guys,

I popped back on here because I initiated this point many months ago, and I keep getting emails every time someone makes a post (I’ll switch the notifications off now).

I haven’t used Roon in quite a while, it gets between me and listening to music. Sure it’s sexy, but it’s too feature laden to be usable; that’s my view.

I now use a Lumin network player, which is connected to my Devialet. It sounds very nice and looks good too. If I want to play some music, from a cold start it’s 3 or 4 clicks in total and I’m listening (that’s for the amplifier and the iPad controlling the Lumin). That’s way more usable than Roon. Since buying the Lumin, I’ve listened to a lot more music, and have consistently enjoyed it without worrying about settings, whether it will work. or what have you.

A thought: if you need to go on to forums to check if something does what you want, maybe the device/software is too complicated, or maybe fiddling with devices is part of the fun? I don’t even know if Lumin has forums. I’ve never had to wonder how to make anything work, it just does, consequently, I listen to music a lot more.

Roon’s a great piece of software, and I’m sure lots of people get lots of enjoyment from it. There’s no right and wrong in any of this, it’s about preference.

Bob

But then long press would invoke Play this track next, Play this track at end of queue, Play From Here Now, Play From Here Next, Play From Here at end of Queue, adding tags, adding selected track(s) to playlists, add to Favorites.
Wow. I like it just like it is.
This comment isn’t trying to change anyone’s mind, but letting Roon staff know that not all users hate the PawMasher.

I’m pretty sure at least one click/ touch has been eliminated without it being announced…otherwise I’ve just gotten used to it…I’m fine with it the way it is now.

I agree Ronnie, with the modification to a 3 step process.

1. SELECT track(s)
  2. PLAY or EDIT (tags, Favorites or playlists)
  3. WHERE to position tracks in the Queue

One of the top level design principles of Roon is that every type of control device (except the recently added phones) have the same User Interface.
I prefer to use a fast tablet to control Roon. The PawMasher workflow really makes sense to me on a iPad. The only thing I miss is computer keyboard short cuts for advanced selections Shift + etc.

and if you’re a poor cousin like myself without a Windows or OSX machine the tablet/ smartphone is your only way to control Roon.

Hi Evan, I started posting before reading the whole topic. I can see you are a devoted whole album listener. Like some others on this thread, I play really like browsing albums and adding selected tracks to the queue, sometimes next sometimes at the queue end. Even if I am listening to a whole album, another album will be added to the end of the queue before the music stops.
I think I like the current QUI (especially on a tablet) because it gives me total flexibility to quickly add tags, Favorites and manage the queue. Being a Linex fan, have you delved into Rasberry Pi Roon Bridge outputs?
Jeff

I haven’t, I have used the Wandboard and also entry level Intel NUC’s for the same purpose.

I’ll stay out of the play queue debate, but please, no long press.
It breaks the flow. It makes me pay attention to the user interface, instead of the desired action.
And no discoverability.

Right-click is no better. Lousy discoverability, requires mouse dexterity. It was a clever thing designed in the early 90s, when computers were used by geeks and required training. And worse on a Mac.

Think of how web sites are designed. No arcane gestures, no training.

Ok, discoverability and zero-training are not the only guidelines, we also care about convenience and speed for the experienced user. But we need both. Long-press fails.

My first day with Roon…

I agree with most here. Please add 1-click ► play button.

I can understand why some don’t care but if you are scouring for music, 2 clicks with a big black screen after the first click right on your face becomes annoying.

I showed it to my family how cool Roon is. Their first comment was, “Why do you have to click it twice to play” Yeeeewwww.! Teenagers gets it.

1 Like

It is a mistake to judge this well thought function on the first day. I used a lot of media players in the past and the way roon handles the play function is the best I have seen till now.

Because it gives you control about the play queue (if you want to know, how frustrating play queue handling can be, try to build a 3 hour queue mixed from single tracks and albums in the spotify app) and it helps you avoid mistakes (nothing more frustrating then you or one of your party guests kills the whole queue by accident, only by hitting the wrong one-click play button).

4 Likes

I’ll chime in again here lest Roon HQ think there is a groundswell of opinion to change this function.

The more I use Roon the more I like the current way the play procedure works. As mentioned above it avoids losing everything inputted by a simple click which used happen to me using iPeng and it becomes a most intuitive and powerful way to curate an evening’s listening.

PLEASE DON’T CHANGE THIS FEATURE.

SJB

4 Likes

By any measure, Sonos leads the field in market dominance when it comes to thru house Music replay

And yet, the user gets these options below when they click on either an Album or Track to Play

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvbqcghiw9ekfj1/Screenshot%202016-05-29%2008.07.29.jpg?dl=0

So Roon is not the only Player needing “Click Twice” for play

1 Like

Before this balloons to a pissing contest, judging from the messages here, it’s not about what you want or what I want. I still think this is a generation thing. I wish Roon will provide us choices if they want to cater to a broader market.

And so do you think that Sonos are cutting themselves off from this same broader market by also insisting on the 2-Click approach to Queue Management??

1 Like

I don’t know if 1-click will affect their market. I certainly wouldn’t make my purchase decision because of 1 or 2 clicks. It’s more about market differentiation and protecting your current customers. If another competitor comes out and provides that choice, now they have something to talk about.

It is possible to please everyone. Right click brings up Pawmasher with a tick box for each option. The selected tick box becomes the left click default.