One Click Play Please [Delivered]

Yes please

Didn’t read the whole thread but the solution would be very simple. Just leave everything as it is now and add double click to play directly, everybody happy.

Has this been addressed by the devs? Any reason why it’s not a fundamental item to “fix”?

I applaud the idea of having offering a choice of play scenarios, but it could be handled better. Either in options, or double clicks for certain actions, separate buttons across the board, etc. (Foobar has a range of options for single clicks and double clicking in options for example).

It’s no deal breaker, but it’s a little clumsy having to work thru 2 screens to play anything.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

2 Likes

Not sure it’s rude, but certainly misleading, :slight_smile:

I’m with you in that “Play Album” should just do that. It’s just so nice to have the possibility to play an album these days, bypassing all the play queue addition, subtraction, positioning, etc, nonsense. It would be more like a CD player then.

For those of us that enjoy the many excellent features (zones and more), but are not into this “playlist” type of life, it would be excellent if there was a feature to disable the redundant step “play now”, “put in queue” etc. All these extra key clicks that are in fact redundant and particular to Roon.

Can this be arranged?

If not, consider using the long line of free space when a track is right-clicked to add these buttons there! Beforehand there is “play”, “play from here”. Now add “play now”, “put in queue” and all these other features. Possible?

2 Likes

Good idea, +1.

1 Like

+1 this also.

In fact I would like to have the option for the system to just play like a CD player. ie. if you select a track in the middle of an album, it will play the track +the rest of the album also, rather than just the one track.

Certainly a lot of these ergonomic requests would be easily dealt with as selectable options in Settings (eg scrolling directions)

However, the fact that this issue and other ergonomic oddities have not been dealt with since launch it seems, would indicate that they are very low on the priority list of the developers, or that the ergonomics are “set in stone” and part of the corporate image of the company itself.

2 Likes

Sorry but this is NOT an ergonomic oddity. It shows that the developers has used other systems before as users. In result they came up with the first system there you don’t have the permanent the risk to accidently kill your queue.
The current behaviour prevents you (or even worse one of your guest at a party) from accidently killing your play queue. A problem with many media players, perfectly solved in roon.

Isn’t that why there is an undo once you played something…or I might be wrong on that but why not make it optional to play with one press or show play options say if the play button is held with a setting option

HEHE, so it rolls along :slight_smile:

We all understand this issue and applaud it, but simply request the OPTION to have it otherwise.

Indeed there would be many occasions where I would glady implement the current way of playing music, like you say for example in a party environment, but I would also like to have the option to simply play music in a more elegant fashion.

Can you also see my point of view?

I also was simply stating that these issues are not being addressed, it would appear, as part of a corporate decision. Maybe a change mind at Roon will prevail eventually which will embrace more choice in ergonomics for the end user in the longer term.

These are not huge issues, just my 2 penneth on a seemingly sticky subject :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With an option I can agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AE67, you are talking about “the queue” as a self evident thing always there. I see that there is support already in this thread to conclude that this is not the case for all users. I don’t want nor need the queue. Simple user need to be met if possible.

1 Like

+1 for good suggestion. Is the lack of response (as far as it was possible to examine this with the endless loading feature) from Roon a bit worrying?

1 Like

Carl, between you and me, I must admit, and maybe I’m getting old, but the obsession with the “play queue” is annoying in general.

To be fair, the Roon implementation ain’t bad. It’s quite logical.

There are some systems which seem to send to queue or append or insert or replace it quite arbitrarily depending on which part of the software you are using. Lol.

Poweramp I seem to remember being really unintuitive, I’d have so many “what’s going on NOW?” moments with that one. Haha. Powerful bit of kit, but I gave up using it because of that.

I think we are of like minds here… we just want a player which plays albums! With one click. Like a good old fashioned Disc player or Record Player. That would be cool. Can it really be that difficult to engineer? Is that such a crazy option to ask for? :wink:

Ah… 1st world problems, don’t you just love 'em?

@David_Haesler, I suggested a practical solution yesterday, but that thread was removed, I anticipate due to being the same as this thread. Thus, I repeat that suggestion here:

MOD edit:
Your post was not removed it was moved into this existing topic to keep all the history together.

Duplicated text in this post now replaced with a link.

4 Likes

Automatic or stick shift in your auto/car? Your choice, but once you’ve made your choice you’re stuck with it. There’s no option to change it on the fly… I don’t know whether there will ever be an option in Roon to allow such a fundamental change in the workflow on the fly. Personally, I’ve got used to the Roon philosophy, and it doesn’t bother me any longer.

2 Likes

The Roon philosophy on “play now” extra click is not the end of the world, but I would like to suggest that it is far from a “fundamental change”. The suggestion presented in this thread is more like a default behavior that the world has defined as practical, except Roon. See my suggestion above.

This stubborn adherence to a queue-centric play method in Roon is the overriding reason why I’m struggling to get my non-audio-geek family to accept Roon. (That, and the lack of a simple “now playing” button that’s always available).

Please give us an option to enable single click album playing, and also (crucially), an option to have playback continue within an album when a track is selected.

2 Likes

Ok, Geoff, each to his own opinion, but I am very surprised at that: “such a fundamental change in the workflow on the fly”

I cannot believe that to insert a button which, on activation, will replace queue with currently viewed album items, would take more than maybe half an hour to implement and test by any sane developer.

And, yes, I have had experience of software development to a large extent, in designing, funding and implementing (with a developer) a global network of websites for the sale of industrial machinery online; I can only imagine this is a little similar in design and execution albeit not using a web-based protocol. My philosophy was always to allow as many options as possible to satisfy as many user-clients as possible.

Now playing is available, I use it all the time.