One Click Play Please [Delivered]

yeah, agree on this one also. It’s really tedious when you start an album, perhaps on 2nd or 3rd track and it only plays that track :slight_smile:

I should have been clearer… I mean a “now playing” feature that takes you to the album view (not the queue).

Ctrl / Cmd + S

Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings

It’s only one more touch on a tablet, doesn’t bother me.
Add another button and people get confused. Damed if you do damed if you don’t. Perhaps an option in setup would be good.
So much of this depends on how an individual uses Roon and is trying to be the same as a previous system.
Just rambling now… sorry.

Thanks, I’m aware of that one but we’re using tablets for Roon control in the living room and I don’t think there’s an equivalent…?

Sounds like you haven’t discovered the “Play from here” function :slight_smile:

Right-click (long press) on the track and choose the relevant button…

1 Like

Well aware of this, but again, it just isn’t intuitive. As far as my past experience is concerned, - and more importantly my wife’s past experience - simply playing a track in the middle of an album then naturally progresses through the album. Imho, the play option that is against the norm should require a long press, not the other way around.

Tap on the Now Playing area at the bottom of the screen

Then Tap on the Screensaver / Now Playing Icon

Yes, exactly, it’s different to prior experience, which is precisely why it is so jarring to those of us who have got very used to a certain way of doing things. Either one adapts or one doesn’t. Whether the Roonies will change their philosophy to a “me too” approach in the UI design is down to them. I suspect that the big-endian versus little-endian war will continue for some time to come :slight_smile:

The alternate argument is of course, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I don’t think making something intuitive means you’re adopting a “me too” position. Roon has broken the mould in many excellent ways…breaking a well established playback mechanism isn’t one of them imho.

2 Likes

With all due respect, and this is extrapolating the logic to an extreme conclusion; but, why offer people a community with “feature requests” if the requested features are met with “it’s my way or the highway”? And not only that… often there is no indication that the request is being heard at all, let alone considered.

It’s perverse at best and perhaps even somewhat sadistic, no?

Please understand, I am extremely happy with the whole platform and “Roon experience”. It’s just frustrating to meet this sort of response when the mechanisms and community feedback are in place to achieve so much more and satisfy so many more people with relatively little work.

1 Like

Sorry, but the Roon guys have posted on this subject of Play Queue on several to many occasions…explaining their rationale…which remember comes not just from Roon over the past two years…but also from their development of the Sooloos since about 2005

There is also mention above about “well established” standards…well I think it’s reasonable to say that the company with the highest market share in the streaming market is Sonos

And Sonos also don’t have “One Click Play”…click on a Track…and Sonos also asks the question of where in the Play Queue you want to insert the Album or tracks…so it’s not like Roon is flying solo on their decision here

“Play from Here” behaviour is also handled by Right Click or Long Press on e.g. Track 3 of an album

Roon have also stated that destroying the Play Queue with a One Click Play is something that they received literally Thousands of complaints about in their previous Sooloos and HP music player apps…so just because there are several people in this thread who are voicing their opinions…that doesn’t mean that the silent majority don’t favour Roon’s play queue implementation

2 Likes

Going back to the start, I don’t poopoo the actual system; its great. Am merely asking for an option to play in another, simpler, way. If an option is not categorically going to be considered, then Ill shut up and accept gracefully the status quo :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention earlier…“Play from Here” within an album is NOT available with the Sonos app…so Sonos also won’t act like a CD Player when selecting Track 3 and hitting play

Which means that neither “One Click Play” nor “Play from this Track forward” is available in either the Roon or Sonos apps

That doesn’t necessarily make it the right choice…only the Roon and Sonos developers and marketeers can make that choice based on feedback…but one would imagine, given how long both have been in the music streaming game, that they would have changed their “Add to Queue” steps long before now, given feedback from their Thousands to Millions of users, if this wad perceived as a major issue

Just something to consider…

1 Like

No problems asking for anything and Roon do listen but, like anything else, once your used to it, it’s hard to go back.
So for now, get used to Roon as it is, it’s not difficult. You only need to be shown once. Keep asking as well.
Get a new make of car, it’s different, get a new model of washing machine, it’s different. Etc

I hope in future you get what your asking for but I fear, due to priorities that by the time you get it you will be so used to the way it is now you may not want it. That’s one of life’s sweet ironys im afraid.

The next irony will be, Roon will do this in the next release…lol who knows, enjoy the music…:sunglasses:

1 Like

I would like to assure all users that the developers DO review the feature requests and consider them. There has been movement from the initial design of Roon in relation to this issue with the introduction of “Play from Here” and Mike has discussed related issues regarding the Queue here.

The only thing you should read into silence on the part of the developers in relation to a one click play option is that it hasn’t yet been ruled in or out. That is the position. If it changes then they will advise all of us.

Personally I favour an option to customise playback by allowing the user to select a default left click behaviour from a fuller right click menu. But I understand the argument against that is a design philosophy that each UI in Roon across multiple platforms and OS’s should have, so far as possible, the same user interface. That will necessarily limit the extent to which Roon adopts conventions or controls unique to differing OS’s, but may also limit the extent to which customisation is allowed.

In any event, at the moment it would be fair to conclude that other matters have been given higher priority by the developers and my guess is that it is unlikely that a central feature of Roon such as the Paw Masher screen will be wholly replaced, but changes to Play have not been ruled out.

Anyone who regards provision of a thread where users can set out their views as a form of sadism needs to visit the Hellfire Club, where I understand sadism can be demonstrated upon request (or so someone told me :smiling_imp:).

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: Sorry Andybob. I tend to overstate my case sometimes. I do need bringing down a peg or two… or so my wife tells me at least daily :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, I’m like a kid in a candy store with Roon, it’s all a bit of a sugar rush to me.

It reminds me of my eldest (now 18), when, at around 2 or 3 years old, I can’t remember, we were giving him biscuits, and we gave him one, then another and offered him a third as he was enjoying them so much, and he just couldn’t cope, hands full, he threw one on the floor, took the third and burst into tears. How we laughed. Now THAT’'S sadism :slight_smile:

Anyhow point taken. And well noted about reading into the the silence.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi All,
I guess I go against trend here. I’ve gotten used to the way ROON works, the way selecting a track allows me to play now or add to the cue in a number of ways.

Most importantly, using an iPad for a remote I’m kind of glad that I have this multi-click as a buffer against accidentally pressing play while browsing other tracks. I don’t know how many times I’ve unintentionally engaged the “Play Now” screen of another track while music is already playing. Imagine going full tilt on Metallica and accedentaly thumb pressing play “Waltz For Debby” while reading up on Bill Evans. That would hurt :grimacing:.

My 2 cents. Thanks,
Jay

4 Likes

Requiring three clicks to play an album or artist seems crazy.

This really is annoying, including the bar at the top so you have to move your mouse to the top of the screen and then back down to select the type of play. It seems like having a setting for the default “play” option (play now, play next, add-to queue, ask [current behavior]) with the others available on right-click/press.

At least add the play options to the 3-dot menu. Then you could play an album or artist with two clicks.

If the UI is really stuck like this, I hope the Roon API will allow those of us who code to customize the UI

That’s why it’s always been best to use on a Tablet. Zero mouse clicks. It all makes sense.