One Microphone Recordings

One Microphone Recordings are made with just one microphone.

They require precise balancing of the sound by the placement of the musicians by the album producer and recording engineer.

In 1987 Cowboy Junkies went into a church to record an album into a single microphone in a single day.

Since then the SQ in One Microphone Recordings has improved.

Now you find recordings like:

and

Great recordings and music :slight_smile: It would be nice if there where more recordings like that.

They seems not be on Qobuz :frowning:

Torben

Interesting, I will check this out. Reminds me of early shellac recordings: one mic, mono in one take. There’s definitely an art to it.

Here is an example: Lester’s Blues (lestersblues.be)

Great album

2 Likes

This Sound on Sound documentary about recording 50s style - including with a single microphone - is fun

1 Like

@GregD + @Mark_Boulter - Thanks for the links.

These are recordings in the “old” style. But that is not the case with above (Paul Berner & Michael Moore). These are “moderne” (nowadays) sound but recorded with just one microphone.

Have a nice WE

Torben

1 Like

… but not what many people would think of as ‘one microphone’, as it’s a Calrec Soundfield mic which is (I think) a tetrahedral array of four capsules and needs a bit of fun post processing to make a stereo master.

1 Like

It is a tetrahedral array ambisonic mic.

The lovely stereo AEA ribbon in the video isn’t strictly a single mic either.

I think the poster is getting at an approach to capturing the sound in the room the way old school classical engineers would - with a single mic array - and no spot mics and minimal mixing.

1 Like

PNG-Bild

You can find detailed information about recording technology on Bandcamp.

So that one was recorded with a Josephson C700S - which has 3 microphone capsules (two directional, one omni) in the single housing.

So far these are all co-incident mic techniques (first order ambisonic, blumlein pair, c700s)

Many purist classical recordings use ‘near co-incident’ techniques (mostly ORTF) or spaced omnis / arrays (eg Decca tree), because the timing differences help with stereo imaging.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638224295082872280

2 Likes

The internet is a spooky place. Just had this through via email a day after reading this thread.

You can find all the One Mic recordings here;One Mic Recordings

1 Like