OpenGL problem on Mac

Hello!

I have a major problem with Roon. I can’t install Roon on my Mac Mini due to a OpenGL problem.

On my previous Mac Mini it wasn’t a problem at all. This older Mini had a video card problem and I had to buy a other Mini. Both same age (mid 2011) The other Mini I have purchased has beter specs, and so a better video card.
I’t should be a problem at all.

When I launch Roon its says: OpenGL 3.0 or higher is required. The video drivers on this system do not support OpenGL 3.0.
May be fixable by upgrading your drivers.

I really don’t understand why this message?? The video card on this Mac is better than the old one.

Some system specs:

Mac Mini mid 2011.
2,5Ghz Dual Core Intel i5
8 Gb RAM.
SSD
Video Card: AMD Readon HD 6630M 256mb

Hope somebody can help me! :pray:t2:

There lies your problem…if they don’t have drivers that support it then game over so to speak.

Also how did you install roon…if you used a time machine backup to restore then this could. Get you into trouble too

Which OS is the other mini running? Although it can be installed with a bit of trickery, Catalina is not supported on pre-2012 mini’s (see: macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support). I’d guess that is the source of your troubles.

Ah okay! Catalina is running on this Mac. That may be the problem??

I doesn’t make any sense. On my older Mac it isn’t a problem, with the better one it is.
The older Mac runs High Sierra, the other Catalina.

Now I see the the other Mac doesn’t support Catalina. Strange… it runs Catalina.
But maybe that’s the problem. I have to downgrade the OS back to High Sierra.

Catalina can only be installed on non-supported Macs using patching software designed to circumvent Apple blocking the install – see:

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Even then, the Radeon 5XXX/6XXX series is listed as a known issue (same problem with Mojave):

AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series graphics acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina on any machines that use a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. If you have a machine with one of these GPUs installed, I’d advise upgrading it if possible (can be done in 2010/2011 iMacs, iMac11,x-12,x), disabling the dedicated GPU if using a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2/8,3, instructions to do so can be found here), or not installing Catalina. Running Catalina without full graphics acceleration will result in extremely poor system performance.

High Sierra is the latest officially supported OS for your mini indeed – installing it will cure your woes.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m gonna try to downgrade the OS and see what happens.

When you cannot run OSX, you can consider running Ubuntu Server on the Mini.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.