Windows 10, Intel i5 660k, 16gb memory

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet via Archer 2300

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi4b

Number of Tracks in Library

60,000+

Description of Issue

After I’ve added to or changed/updated the music library on the HD, quite often when Roon loads half the database is missing and I have to force a re-scan. This can take 20 minutes or so and is a pain in the proverbial.

The HD is 4 TB. Are there any tweaks or things I can do to help/solve the problem?

Cheers, John

Try not to have roon running when adding music to your library location.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never have Roon running until everything is done although a few times I’ve added albums to the HD when it is running and it’s picked them up. However, I haven’t monitored what happens after I start it again.

I guess I need to be more rigorous.

Cheers, John

Im assuming the HDD is directly connected to the Core machine…if not then what is the complete setup?

A PC with several HD and SSD drives. The music files are on a 4TB WDC Black HD and the Core is on a Samsung Evo 960 PCIe3. Memory is 2x Corsair 8GB DDR4 - 2400

Can you also share a screen shot of the Storage settings for Roon, maybe we can spot something in there that might be amiss

Not much to see but here you go:-

seems it is still importing or analysing tracks (if you check under Library settings) perhaps try throttling the analysis.

When it has finished loading the files from a re-scan, it is always showing what you see in the screen grab - throttled or not. The circulating “adding to the library” never seems to stop.

Well just have to wait for @support to show up…

1 Like

Hi @John_Rainey ,

How is the drive formatted, is it using a standard NTFS file system? Is there anything particular about the drive, are you using any drive management tools or is it part of a RAID setup? Can you please use these instructions to send us a set of your Roon logs for review? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hvmx21iaszuHhJcMmcGXWKm9xgRFNzne/view?usp=sharing

That should link to the rar file of Logs

The drive for the Roon Core is my C drive, a 500GB Samsung EVO960 PCi card, a SSD and quite fast. The drive for my library is a Western Digital Black 4TB. There is no raid setup and no management other than Windows 10, updated to recent version. All standard NTFS.

Cheers, John

Hi @John_Rainey ,

I’ve requested access to the logs, please grant when possible, thanks!

I think it worked - I rarely use Drive so fingers crossed.

1 Like

Hi @John_Rainey ,

Thank you for granting the access and for your patience here. Looking over the logs, it looks like Roon is attempting to analyze the following file and it is failing to do so:
H:\Music\Eric Johnson\4hero\[1994] Parallel Universe\4 Hero - 11 - Sunspots.flac

Can you please try to exit Roon, move this file out of the Roon watched directory to somewhere Roon is not scanning, start Roon again and verify if that helps resolve the issue? If it does, please don’t delete this file just yet, as I would kindly request it for further QA review. Thanks!

Hi, yes there is an issue. How two artists ended up in the Eric Johnson file is unknown and also Sunspots must have a problem as I cant move it. I have deleted it because of that.

I will let you know if the problem happens again.

Many thanks, John

1 Like