Opening Roon on desktop with newly installed Windows 10

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Core is a ST i5, Windows 10.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All hard wired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Lumin U1 mini

Description Of Issue
I was running Windows 7 and installed Windows 10 yesterday.

I didn’t check Roon on my desktop but it worked fine on my iPad.

Today I tried it on my desktop and it hangs up loading and I have to hit Esc to close it out. Works perfectly on my iPad today.

Any ideas?

Firewall? /10char

No I didn’t. I’ll give it a try. All my other programs are working fine though.

Please make sure you

1. have a Roon backup that you can restore.
  2. do a full uninstall (program+database) and clean the Windows Registry (free Ccleaner is fine for that).

Dirk

If I uninstall Roon on my desktop will it affect the Roon files on my Sonic Transporter?

Assuming you’re using Intel chipset motherboard onboard graphics, one thing you may consider to do is to go to Intel website (not from Windows update) and get the latest Intel display drivers.

You also need to reconfigure the firewall - turn it off or add two exclusions.

1 Like

Exclusions for what?

If using a firewall, exclusions need to be added for Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe

No, re-installing Roon as ‘client’ software will not affect your Sonictransporter running Roon Core.
During (at the end) installation, with a firewall active, the 2 firewall exceptions related to RAAT are proposed automatically. Please make sure to click Yes (2 times) to accept them. RAAT is Roon’s own networking protocol.
Dirk

1 Like

Hi @KenS,

No, since the Sonic Transporter is your Core machine, uninstalling on the Windows remote device will not have any impact here.

As suggested above, I’d first try disabling the firewall on this machine entirely. If that doesn’t work, try updating the graphics drivers. If there is still no change, try a complete reinstall on the Windows machine.

Let us know how it goes after giving that a try.

I uninstalled the firewall–no help. Checked the drivers and they were updated when I went to Windows 10. Uninstalled and reinstalled Roon but again–no help. So I searched the forums again and saw a lot of 64 bit uncompatibility problems. My OS with Windows 7 and 10 are both 64 bit but I took a flyer and installed Roon 32 bit and success! Everything works fine now and looking back I’m guessing Windows 7 automatically installed the 32 bit Roon version. What a hassle!

1 Like

Which model of display adapter are you using? Intel HD4000?

Yes, it’s the HD4000.

Please confirm you did go to Intel web site and did a separate display driver update, not just relying on Windows update (which does not really have the latest driver despite what it claims to).

We used the Windows update, not Intel’s.

Would you please care to publish the link to Intel’s driver update page?

Googling “Intel Driver Update” yields

I use their Driver & Support Assistant on both my office and home computers.

1 Like

Thanks
Dirk

1 Like

I see. If the system works fine for you and you are not interested to change the configuration further, then you may leave it there.

To give you an executive summary (Carl / Dylan please correct me as needed), the reason I guessed you’re using HD4000 is because the 32bit solution you found is precisely what some other HD4000 users did when facing Roon issues. It was later discovered that Intel had a newer driver that fixed it, but it’s only available from Intel tools from Intel web site. I guess Windows update remains to use an old buggy driver.

What advantage is there to change to the new driver and 64 bit?