OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

Sounds great native. Nice for the TV display showing album art and track info.

I have spoken to Oppodigital here in the UK, the firmware is not available yet, it will be available within the next week, possibly the next couple of days, I was advised not to download the firmware from the Oppodigital.com website as that is US specific.
I suspect the situation for the UK applies to Europe as well?

Russ

1 Like

Any chance it will do multichannel?

Could it come to the older players in the future?

[quote=“rrwwss52, post:6, topic:30847”]
HDMI audio out is limited to two channel as far as I can see.
[/quote]Why HDMI? Why not ethernet for ROON?

I’m presuming an HDMI connection from Oppo to some kind of processor/amplifier/receiver

Does RAAT not work for DSD for oppo

I tried to play multichannel (5.1) flac files out of the Oppo via HDMI. It was downmixed to the AVR at 2.0.

How about multichannel analog output

[quote=“rrwwss52, post:47, topic:30847, full:true”]
I tried to play multichannel (5.1) flac files out of the Oppo via HDMI. It was downmixed to the AVR at 2.0.
[/quote]What is it connected to? Does the Oppo play multichannel to that device with the same format/resolution from discs or USB?

I can play multichannel/surround flac files stored on my WD NAS from the Oppo UDP-203 to my Anthem MRX-720 AVR. Also, multichannel SACD discs work as listed above.

[quote=“mitr, post:50, topic:30847”]
What is it connected to? Does the Oppo play multichannel to that device with the same format/resolution from discs or USB?[/quote]Assuming that you are using HDMI output to the Anthem for all, this is strange because I have done exactly what you want with Ethernet input to my 205 and HDMI output to my Marantz prepro. What does the display on the Oppo say? Is it getting multichannel?

I will have to double check when I am home, but I believe that the OPPO UDP-203 zone channel configuration in Roon was locked (grey) at 2.0. Hence, no multichannel.

AJ

The pic with Track 1 is on the network NAS. The pic with Track 2 is multichannel SACD.

Both are playing multichannel out of my AVR.

The Roon Oppo device setup is locked in at 2.0 with no option to change it. Looks like a feature request…

Sure looks like a ROON issue if the channel layout is locked at 2.0.

Not neccessarily. The lockdown may be limitations in the just released firmware. The Roon fixed 2.0 playback is based on the player interface. The update which permitted the Roon interface was released by Oppo yesterday. I just called Oppo customer support and requested if a 5.1 interface could be addressed.

I have asked them but not yet received a reply. Also, I assumed that ROON had vetted the operations of the firmware.

I’m sure Roon tested it in some way prior to release. Hopefully more calls to Oppo by Roon users might make it happen sooner rather than later.

[quote=“rrwwss52, post:59, topic:30847”]
I’m sure Roon tested it in some way prior to release.[/quote]Me, too.

[quote=“rrwwss52, post:59, topic:30847”]
Hopefully more calls to Oppo by Roon users might make it happen sooner rather than later.[/quote] Yes, they are looking into it but the calls might accelerate the effort.

Multichannel would be great!

1 Like