OPPO UDP-205 MQA (via USB-In) is now live!

That isn’t what your screenshot is telling me. It is saying the source is 44.1 but then it does what it is supposed to. Are you saying a display or some other element is telling you different?

Oh. So what is the MQA 352.8 KHz then?

Thanks,
Goran

Clearly I don’t know how MQA works

24/44.1 is the “folded up” source file. The fully unfolded file ends up as 352.8 KHz.

What does your 205 show, via HDMI, as the OFS (it should show 352.8 KHz).

The resolution you would get if the MQA file was unfolded which is called the first stage then rendered which is the second stage, Roon only does the first stage you need a dac that can decode and render MQA like a Meridian 218 or Lumin D2 or Oppo 205 for example, it appears you are getting the full MQA from your screenshot.

The 205 fully unfolds and renders MQA.

I modified my post.

But where can I see this unfolded frequency on the OPPO 205? The info button only shows 44.1 KHz.

Thank you,
Goran

You will need to hook up a monitor via HDMI. It will show you the incoming bit-rate and resolution.

I am sorry, I already have a monitor hooked up to the OPPO - to the main HDMI out. But since the input is set to USB DAC, all I see is a black screen, and when I press the Info button I see the input frequency on the USB DAC, on the bottom line it shows the HDMI details.

What am I missing?

Thanks again,
Goran

You should still see info when set to the USB in. You should see the OFS in the top right of the screen.

Oh, thank you so much!

But very very sadly, I do not see that, and now I am wondering why? You can see my screen below:

A couple of housekeeping items:

1. What version USB firmware? Main firmware?
  2. What settings inside the 205 are you using?
  3. Are you sure this is an MQA file?
  1. I have the latest DAC firmware (118), the latest OPPO firmware, and the latest Windows 10 USB DAC driver. So that should not be a problem.
  2. Settings inside the 205? Not sure which setting you are referring to. I only read somewhere that I should set Up-Sample DAC Input to On in Audio Processing. Are there any other MQA-related settings I am not aware of?
  3. The file is coming for Tidal via Roon, and Roon is set to Master quality, and the file is marked with the MQA logo.

Thank you very much for your help, Chris.

The exact same thing was happening to me and I think I may have found a bug in the roon software. This is how I got mine working. First I made sure dsp was off including volume limiting and then went to device set up for the oppo 205 and set mqa to “ decoder and renderer” . Then I scrolled down and clicked on advanced settings . I Scrolled down further to the setting to shut off mqa and I shut it off ( I did this while playing an mqa encoded track from tidal ) it paused the track but when I hit play it displayed mqa at top right of my tv screen. I then turned the mqa setting in roon back on and it still displayed mqa on my tv. Had to keep mqa set to “ decoder and renderer “. Don’t know why it wouldn’t work before shutting mqa off and then on. Hope this works for you. Also, I did not have to change any settings in the oppo itself.

Firstly, thank you very much for the detailed instructions.

Secondly, sigh. There is no MQA setting in my device setup. The history of this is that I bought probably one of the last OPPO 205’s from a Bang&Olafsen dealer. I didn’t even have a clue that B&O had ordered custom firmware for their OPPOs to remove the OPPO logo, and that I had the misfortune to buy one of these OPPOs. Because OPPO not only removed the logo, but also all of the Roon support - and now I find out the MQA support as well.

It took OPPO a month to admit that they had removed Roon from the B&O firmware, and another two months to put it back. Now I find out I don’t have MQA, even though I have lifetime Roon + Tidal premium.

Would you be so kind to send me a photo of your device setting where it has the MQA settings, so that I can send that to OPPO support and see if they will fix this.

Thank you

Sorry I wasn’t more clear but I am talking about the oppo device setting in the roon software not in the oppo itself.

I tried it, no luck.

Thank you,
Goran

What settings in the Audio section of the setup menu are you using? You should not have to use “upsample” to get this to work.

Sorry for the delay. Here are my settings on Roon. My OPPO settings are below that.

And here are the OPPO Settings: