Organise Playlists with Folders [IMPLEMENTED]

I don’t use playlists often but I can see the need for this.

2 Likes

I’m adding my voice to Playlist Groups being a #roon:feature-requests

1 Like

Almost ~5 years on, but still hoping :wink:

Seriously Roon is long overdue in giving some love to the proper management of playlists.

4 Likes

Hello.

This may be a somewhat selfish request, but I noticed Tidal implemented the ability to organize playlists with folders and I have found it really useful. I’m hoping Roon can implement something similar.

Roon has something similar with the ability to tag playlists and albums, but there are some key functional advantages to using folders rather than tags in some scenarios.

For example, I am a DJ and I use Roon to prepare playlists for the events I DJ. For any one event, I may create up to 5 different playlists (reception, pre-dance, dance, reserve, etc.) to suit the various needs of that event.

It’s important for me to preserve the playlists from previous events so that I can create derivatives of them for future events, but I don’t need to see 5 entries in my list of playlists for each event I’ve ever DJed.

If I were able to add all of these playlists to a folder of “Wedding Playlists” and further into folders for each event, and have those folders show up as single entries in my list of playlists, it would greatly improve my ability to organize and manage all of my playlists!

I said this may be selfish because the average use-case is not as obvious, but I think it’s still there. For example, it would be reasonable to have several “Christmas Playlists” that you could organize into a folder. Right now you can add playlists to a tag, but that adds extra steps to the process of viewing the playlists you want to see most often (first you view all playlists, then you filter out the ones you don’t want to see or do your best to ignore them).

I’m not suggesting replacing tags. I think this is a compatible compliment to the organization options Roon already offers, including tags.

2 Likes

Nothing new under the sun, 2017:-

What’s the point of that, it is unresponsive to the post. Or perhaps too cryptic for those of us who spend very little time on Roon web site. I don’ know.

He was just pointing out that same thing has been requested going back over 5 years. And that may correlate with roon’s desire ( or lack thereof) to implement.

1 Like

Roon’s unwillingness to consider folders for playlists is well established, I agree. But similarly, it’s OK for us peasants to continue to voice their opinions, even over years.

2 Likes

In your scenario, I would create a separate profile for each type of event (e.g. weddings, Christmas, carnivals, etc.). And then in each profile a tag for each specific event. You then assign your various playlists (reception, pre-dance, dance, reserve) to the event tag.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I haven’t considered using several profiles, so I may look into how that may work.

I imagine that using profiles to side-step the issue may have some side-effects like not being able to assign music to playlists unless I’m on the profile that owns the playlist.

It’s common to stumble across songs in casual listening that may be good at an event. I generally don’t want to see the playlists related to that event, but I do still want to be able to access them. Putting them in folders is like tucking them away, without making them unavailable.

You don’t see the playlists of the other profiles at first, but you can easily switch to them (see picture).

Besides a bunch of accounts profiles which makes no sense at all - (an account profile named Denmark?!) it is unusable. You’ll have to switch accounts profiles continuously.

The suggestion was to use Roon Profiles - these are not equivalent to a Roon account.

It’s a workaround to use a Profile to group selected Playlists together.

1 Like

Thanks @Geoff_Coupe, profile was of course what I meant.

I was so surprised when I got a Roon account that no folders were available for playlists.
It just seems so logical.
How hard can it be to add that feature?

Add me to the “I want Folders” group.

You should add your vote as well - use the Vote button at the top of the thread. Votes are what count, not “me too” posts.

Thank you for letting me know. I’m new around here and I didn’t See that.

I’ve been kicking around here for some time and also did not know that. Now I too have voted.

When will you introduce playlist folders? This seems such a basic feature for music lovers with many playlists

2 Likes

I’ve moved your post from the #support category to this relevant Feature Suggestion thread. Your question cannot/will not be answered by the Support team. You can help by clicking the Vote button at the top of this thread. Thanks for your understanding.