Organise Playlists with Folders [IMPLEMENTED]

Voted; Roon is not a viable iTunes alternative for me without this feature.

1 Like

A poor work around tip for those wanting folders.

First, I name my playlists both in Tidal and Roon (I have playlists on both platforms] starting with a number and Genre or descriptor. The number is how close I want it to the top alphabetically.

1. Current Songs [Roon]
  2. Alternative / Playlist 1 Name [Roon]
  3. Alternative / Playlist 2 Name [Tidal]
  4. Jazz / Playlist 3 Name [Roon]
  5. Jazz / Playlist 4 Name [Roon]
  6. Upbeat / Playlist [Tidal]
  7. Morning / Playlist name [Roon]

Then I can use the Filter on the Genre or filter on the word Roon if I want to be editing during the listening session.

Finally, the folder workaround. I filter the Playlist on “Jazz” and then set a bookmark for each Genre or category I want. The good thing is the bookmarks show on the iOS client which doesn’t have the filter on Playlists, so it implements a bit of missing functionality.

BTW, I assume this is obvious, but you don’t need the numbers for the filter idea. The numbers are because I like my groupings to be in a certain order. If you don’t like the numbers you can not use them of course.

I still want folders and use them on Tidal.

1 Like

I tested Roon several years ago. I abandoned it because Roon is a real mess when it comes to selecting classical music. First of all, it doesn’t check the often aberrant information provided by music publishers. It often happens that composers who have been dead for a few hundred years are recorded as performers or conductors!
What’s more, there’s no SIMPLE way of correcting this. My tags are all correct, but nothing helps.
Finally, as the search often gets confused between author, performer, orchestra, etc., there’s never any way of knowing whether all your recordings have been registered and under which label.
I know that Roon has been fighting against this way of managing from the outset, but this would bring real added value and would make it possible, little by little, to straighten out the files.
What’s more, Roon doesn’t do much to improve the user experience: it would be enough to write a silly control program to clean up false information when CDs arrive. They do much more difficult things!

I use Soundiiz for playlist management, transferring and syncing playlists from Spotify → Qobuz. The ultimate goal is to have parity of the organizational capabilities of Spotify within Roon. I go to great lengths to organize my playlists using Spotify’s folers. Yes - I get tags achieve the same thing - kind of. But there is no practical workflow (that I’m aware from) to transfer playlists to Roon where tags replace the folder hierarchy I curate in Spotify. This is one significant pain point.

As a result, the amount of scrolling needed to find the playlist I’m looking for is far too great. The search/filter works - but only if I know the name of the specific playlist I’m looking for. The problem is search is not not conducive to browsing. I have 100’s of playlists and can’t remember the names of them all. Folders are more conducive to browsing with progressive disclosure. i.e. Created by Me → Genre → Sub Genre → Specific playlist name. Or: Created by others → Moods → Upbeat → Specific playlist name

Folders could be a progressive enhancement - something you can opt-in to. This would help keep the default experience simple but allow for organization system that meets a wider user base.

Finally, folders and tags do not have to be mutually exclusive.

If there is hesitation on whether or not a UI/UX could be achieved while maintaining the product’s design goals, I would be happy to help create design explorations and conduct professional usability tests. My hypothesis is that a folder management system could be implemented in the product without regressing or over-complicating the UI/UX.

Thank you for considering this UX enhancement.

1 Like

I use Soundiiz to move playlists from Spotify to Tidal too. I use folders too. My work around is to prefix all playlists with a number (for sorting genres), genre, sub category and then name.

So it might be

1. Alt / High Energy / Party songs 2022
  2. Jazz / Mellow / Sleep songs

So those names start in Spotify- within a folder it’s easy to name them.

Sometimes a hot playlist I prefix with _ to pop it to top of list.

Also remember you can sort in Roon by recent changes to see the ones recently updated by Soundiiz.

I fully support your change, above is a clunky work around at best.

This feature was implemented!

2 Likes