OS 10.11 "El Capitan." To install or not to install, that is the question

i just downloaded El Capitan and ROON won’t play through my Schiit Gungnir DAC but will play through my LG tv/monitor speakers via hdmi!
is Apple trying to sabotage ROON?
should i uninstall ROON and reinstall it and if so how do i do it?
bobbmd

Does Roon show your Gungnir or is it asking you to choose an audio zone?

The beta and developer versions have been out for ages. If third parties cann’t be bothered to upgrade their products that’s what I call arrogant.

2 Likes

I have been running RoonServer and Roon on various releases of El Captitan for quite some time now. Has worked great for me, moved my Mac Mini running Roonserver to release version of El Capitan the other day, has worked flawlessly.

So I have a Macbook Pro (2015), an older Macbook Air both running Roon with nary a hitch and a Mac Mini (2012) running RoonServer.

And of course an iPad under IOS 9.1.

Music sounds wonderful.

I suspect like the Apogee Duet Firewire, a lot of hardware/software companies that rely on the Firewire interface are feeling put out that Apple has stopped support for it. That means they wont fix issues and I would not be surprised if Apple deprecated Firewire support completely in the next revision or two.

I have heard that the hardware will still work as the driver is there, just there will be no support to fix issues if they arise from Apple to the companies. Remember unlike Windows where hardware companies are used to providing drivers, companies that produced these software/hardware products have always relied on Apple’s baked in firewire drivers.

I have heard that there are some pretty bad USB issues on some older Macs with some USB components. Which makes sense because I think Apple changed the USB stack.

My experience with El Capitan and iOS 9.2 has only provided me with excellent results. roon, TIDAL HIFI, Dirac Live, AsQ+wiRC and A4THIFIwiRC all work without any issues.

Sorry for those members who are experiencing problems but the rhetoric re Apple does not feel balanced when impugning Apple’s creativity and attributing motives that are not well founded. But I never argue with perception so good fortune. But it might serve those who are blaming Apple to get proactive and sort out a reasoanble solution given the changing landscape for technology and device innovations as the specifications and requirements are changing.

In fact, I read in MacWorld that Apple may be giving up on OpenGL and replacing it with Metal. I personally don’t know what that means overall, but mention it only because, things are a changing and that is the way of progress and innovation.

Appreciation to roon Labs for keeping up with the fruit vendor. That upgrade to El Capitan and iOS 9.1/.2 has been seamless.

Best,
Richard

1 Like

Yes, this does seem to be a FireWire issue. I was feeling particularly grumpy yesterday because I was about to sell my Duet to help fund a new DAC (or streamer). A lot of people seem to have been hit by the Apogee Duet FW issue and it does look like this is something that Apogee should have handled a lot better. So, I guess I owe Apple an apology on this occasion.

Or maybe I don’t judging by this comment on Gearslutz:-

I’ve been developing OSX apps for many years now and I can assure you that the biggest issues we’ve faced are always due to the changes Apple make between the last Beta and the final release.

I’ll stop being grumpy now and start looking for a replacement for the Duet that isn’t tied to Macs.

1 Like

Hello Chris,

That’s the Spirit. I completely understand getting grumpy when things break because of change, intentional or othewise. And when product manufacturer’s don’t keep up and leave us in the mess from the spilled glass they left half full but got knocked over anyway.

And Apple at one time did break Integer Mode, but eventually returned it, if I have that correctly.

What I do appreciate is how the transition now that I am a lifetime licensee of roon has been experienced given the introduction of so many changes and keeping up with so many updates. That for me is the acid test for commitment to the pursuit of excellence. I don’t think a concern involved in innovation can fake that. It either flies or it crashes. With roon, I haven’t hit the deck yet. Without exaggeration, I am soaring in the best sense of that despite the phonological ambiguity (sort of). Soar, sore. Maybe snore if I don’t stop (smile).

Hope it all works out for you. Back to the enjoyment of music.

Best,
Richard

LOL, I"m not sure I’d let Apple off the hook that quickly since they were in fact the ones to push firewire in the first place.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I completely agree about Roon and am very glad to have taken up the lifetime membership. My grumpiness was in no way directed at Roonlabs, and has dissipated now anyway,

Best wishes

Chris

El Capitan does not recognize my LH Geek Pulse Xfi at all. Luckily, I still had my old Benchmark DAC-1 HDR and that works fine. I have a 2011 MacMini. Apparently older Macs are having USB audio issues. Beware.

Can confirm I have Roon working on El Capitan running on: Mac Pro late 2013, Macbook Pro R & MacBook 12".

It is also working iOS 9 on iPad Air 2

Roon running fine with El Capitan on mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro. Simple set up, audio out via usb to Schiit Modi.

I tried the upgrade this morning on my mid-2012 Macbook Pro but it got stuck on the grey screen - this seems to have happened to a number of people. Luckily I was able to restart in recovery mode and restore from Time Machine. I think I’ll stick with Yosemite for the moment!

Not sure if it’s related to El Capitan but my library is rebuilding often since the update… I’ve been losing edits, album covers, artist pictures,…
Obviously also the recently added content is completely wrong now as well… I’already had to restore the entire Roon folder to get things back the way they were.
Roon has also crashed a couple of times (never had that on Yosemite). All these things started to happen after the update to El Capitan.
Again I can’t be sure the os is to blame but it perhaps it’s wise to wait a bit

I installed El Capitan and it resolved an intermittent graphic issue (garbled fonts) that I had been experiencing with the integrated Intel graphics card of my Macbook.

So, Roon & El Capitan has been a positive experience for me.

1 Like

Thanks to all. I have successfully installed El Capitan on my Macbook Pro and Mac Mini with no problems at all (Roon or otherwise).

John

1 Like

Hello All,

I am only reposting in case new members are reading this thread and are concerned about El Capitan. I, too, experienced no problems with roon after installing El Capitan or iOS 9.2.

Microsoft’s Office For Mac 2011, Outlook, yes. But roon Core and the remote app and the roon Client are prospering. I realize other members may have issues. I don’t and those on the fence whether to upgrade or not, for my part, I am also prospering. The music’s even better.

If it’s a toss-up, use your best judgment.

Best,
Richard

OK I can happily report that my recent problems were related to a bad modem. My internet provider installed a new one and problems have gone away. The malfunctioning modem just started at about the same time as the the El Capitan update.
All is well now performance wise

Steve

1 Like