OS update fails after upgrading to Roon 2.0 (ref#ID11C5)

What’s happening?

· Other

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

· Other

Describe the issue

I upgraded from 1.18 to 2.0. I am now running server 2.52(build 1538). My Rock is using System is OS Version 1.0 (build 259). I believe the current version of the OS is newer and has tailscale. I reinstall. The first time it gave me an error. I re-did several times and each subsequent time it says "installed" but when I go back to the page it gives me the same version and build. My Nuc is a 5 year old Intel BOXNUC8i7BEH1 Bean Canyon NUC transplanted into a fanless case.

Describe your network setup

pfsense router/firewall

Only newer installations configured for UEFI boot support Tailscale as far as I’m aware.
Maybe another user can confirm if your NUC can be configured accordingly and how. In the meantime, please have a look at the install guide to see if he contains relevant information too:

This is the current version of ROCK on my NUC.

I didn’t have to go into the BIOS to change any settings. It worked right out of the box here. Made a bootable ROCK installation USB stick. Booted the NUC from it. Had it erase the internal SSD and just set it up.

I just found:

Maybe this helps.

Not mine regretably. Every time I reinstall I get 1 (259) again. I dont my Nuc 8 I7 is listed on the compatability table and has run fine for 5 years. Don’t know any way to check the bios from Roon OS.

Thanks. Unfortunately if UEFI is a pre-requisite to using tailscale then it becomes very complicated since it requires reinstalling the entire system. Can’t switch to UEFI after system is already installed. Just not worth the headache. Shame.

AI-overzicht

To enter the BIOS setup on an Intel NUC8i7BEH1, you need to press the F2 key repeatedly during the initial boot sequence, right after powering on the device. You should see a prompt like “Press F2 to enter Setup” or a similar message on the screen as the NUC starts up. If you miss the initial prompt, you can restart the NUC and try again.

Here’s a more detailed breakdown:

  1. 1. Power on the NUC:

Start by turning on the NUC.

  1. 2. Watch for the prompt:

As the NUC starts up, you should see a message on the screen, typically at the bottom, indicating which key to press to enter the BIOS setup. For the NUC8i7BEH1, this is usually F2.

  1. 3. Press F2 repeatedly:

Press the F2 key (or the key indicated in the prompt) repeatedly, and fairly quickly, after powering on the NUC.

  1. 4. Enter the BIOS:

If you are successful, the NUC should enter the BIOS setup utility, where you can view and modify various system settings.

  1. 5. Troubleshooting:

If you miss the prompt, you can restart the NUC and try again, or you may need to check your keyboard connection, particularly if using a USB keyboard. Some systems with USB keyboards might require using a PS/2 keyboard to access BIOS initially. Also, ensure “Fast Boot” is disabled in the BIOS settings, as it can make it harder to access.

This should get you into your NUC’s BIOS. I believe that there should be several boot options. Including using legacy or UEFI.

From what I read on other posts if I switch to UEFI I have to reinstall. I cannot just modify the booth since it will no longer see my current drive.

Yes of course.

True.

Thanks. I have not had to use the support forum in a long time (running 1.8 with no problems). I forgot what an incredibly talented and generous bunch of people are on the forum. Thanks all.

Hellop @Jorge_Espinosa,

Thank you for reaching Roon support, and we are glad to hear that everything is working as expected for now.

To clarify briefly — switching the Intel NUC’s boot mode from Legacy BIOS to UEFI cannot be done “on the fly” because it requires a complete OS reinstall. This is due to the fundamental differences in how Legacy and UEFI handle disk partitioning and bootloaders.

Since Tailscale support requires UEFI boot mode, the only viable solution is to reinstall the OS after changing the boot mode.

We appreciate the community’s help in troubleshooting this. As the solution is now clear, we will close this thread.

Thanks again for everyone’s contributions!