OSMC + Bridge on a Rpi2?

Pretty simple question, I have a perfectly working OSMC install on my setup (Rpi2 + HifiBerry Digi+) and I was wondering if I could install the bridge version of roon over there. Would it be possible? I think OSMC is based on Debian, but a lot of the distrib are. Thanks a lot!

It worked for me using the same hardware with Raspbian. As they are both based on Debian it should work with OSMC too.

But if you are only running Roon, you can also try HiFiBerry’s RoonReady image: https://www.hifiberry.com/2016/06/roon-image-for-beta-testers/

1 Like

Thanks for the link!

I managed to install alright yesterday. I haven’t tested it yet tho. I’m not sure how OSMC and Roon will share ALSA but let’s see. The idea is not using both at the same time but, OSMC should still work whenever I want to watch a film.

OSMC and ROON run perfectly well together on a RPI2. Actually, my core+server is an old macbook pro (2007) and they all seem in sync while playing in group which is pretty awesome.

I am running OSMC and am trying to install Roonrbidge on it

however I think I am missing some component

This is the error I get:

`Do you want to install RoonBridge on this machine? [Y/n] Y

Downloading RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.IzMCjRPWGS/RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2

######################################################################## 100.0%

Unpacking RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2...tar (child): lbzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now`

any suggestions what I can do to get the installation working?

Best

Claire

I try to install Roon on Volumio 2.0 exactly the same mistake.
Do you want to install RoonBridge on this machine? [Y/n] Y

Downloading RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.FrJy0sOMTr/RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2

######################################################################## 100.0%

Unpacking RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2…tar (child): lbzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

The RoonBridge installer did not complete successfully.

If you are not sure how to proceed, please check out:

This solved my issue, as on Volumio image lbzip2 was missing.

first:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

then:
apt-get install bzip2

finally usual:
cd /opt
curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
rm roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

1 Like

thanks that worked. lbzip2 is also missing from the OSMC distro

To anyone wanting to do this use sudo as osmc does not allow su access as osmc and apt-get upgrade needs to be apt-get dist-upgrade

Other than that, good to go.

1 Like

For ones interested in 384/24 playback I tested and found as very good this unix.
Roon runs good on it, and can be run in parallel with Squeezelite and AirPlay.
Very simple install.

1 Like

A word of thanks to Janis for the tip to add the bzip2 package to the OSMC distro! Worked perfectly.

I’m now running OSMC and Roon Bridge on my RPi3. OSMC audio is over HDMI and Roon audio over my Hifiberry DAC+ Pro HAT. Both can run simultaneously without any performance or interference (not sure why anyone would want that) between the two apps.

Cheers!

This works exactly as ordered on the Vero4k, by the way (not the armv8 though). I’m using it to optically connect to a Cambridge Audio streamer, so I am not reliant on Airplay anymore.

1 Like

Thank you for the useful commands!

I recently install successfully Roonbridge under OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3 and Allo miniBoss DAC.
After installing RoonBridge the Allo miniBoss DAC wasn’t available at the first time.
The solution is to add some lines in the config.txt file. For this we need root access. Based on the OSMC documentation the basic username and password is ‘osmc’ for SSH. If we need root, the following command is needed:

sudo passwd root

After adding a password for the root user use the commands form Janis’s post.
Than:

nano /boot/config.txt

Add these lines at the end:

dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=audio=on

Save, exit and reboot the Raspberry. After that my kitchen Roon Endpoint worked.
Hope this helps for someone in the world. :slight_smile: