Overheating NUC core - new install on ubuntu 18.04

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel 7i5 NUC 8GB ram 256GB ssd
Ubuntu 18.04LTS server OS
Latest Roon OS
Other software running Emby Server & ssh server.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Unifi Switches, USG & 2 Wireless AP
Core connected via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Core connected to AVR via hdmi
iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro controllers/end points

Description Of Issue

Transferred Core from 7i3 NUC running ROCK without an issue to server listed above. Installed without issue. Connected usb drive with music (less than 7000 tracks). Connected from MacBookPro for just about long enough for me to configure Roon and then connection dropped and will not reconnect. Core cooling fan then started up and overheating warnings started to be generated by the nuc. If I run “top” on the core via ssh from the MacBook, “RoonAppliance” seems to taking anything from 90 to 200% of the cpu. Its been doing this now for 48 hrs constantly and I have no idea whether its still doing or even started the audio analysis, which I know can take a while. Just rebooted the machine and instantly back to where it was. I cannot connect with either the iPhone or iPad.

I don’t want to go back to a separate core running ROCK as I’m trying to reduce the no of “boxes” I have running all the time and a 7i5 nuc should be easily able to run a small Roon library and Emby server.

Have to say I have used previous versions of Roon on ubuntu before without issue and so it appears to be an issue with just the latest version.

Ideas anyone.

Any “overheating warning” would be a hardware issue, not a software issue.

If I were you I’d clean and re-apply the thermal paste, and reseat or upgrade the CPU fan (there are many reasons after market CPU fans exist, not just for overclocking). I don’t know the warranty implications, however.

If you can get into the NUC setup, see how many cores have been set to do background and on demand analysis. Reduce that to one if set higher, or set to off and that ought to stabilise Roon. If you can get a backup from your old system then that should avoid Roon having to re-analyse everything.

Hi @weedos,

I have seen some reports that running Emby in the same environment as Roon can cause issues, please look over the following two threads:

If you temporarily turn off the Emby server, do you still experience the crash behavior?

Hi @noris

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have had look at the 2 threads you suggested, must admit most of it goes over my head, but I did see this, which I wrote:

weedos
Paul Weedon

Dec '18

@negas

Cant speak for arch but here I have an intel nuc running a ubuntu server 18.04 with Roon core and emby server running quite happily.

Paul

I assume that was an earlier version of the software, but it was on the same machine that is currently overheating and before I moved the core to a different nuc running rock.

Anyway I have done as you asked. I rebooted the nuc and stopped the emby server. Sadly it hasn’t made no difference at all.

Paul

Thanks for checking that @weedos, can I next please ask you to manually send me the logs from your Core? You can use these instructions to send the log files over and the best way to get them over to me would be via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com

Hi Norris
Logs sent

Hi @weedos,

Thanks for sending those log files over. I am looking through them now and I believe this issue might be media related. I would proceed as follows:

1. Move this folder out of your watched storage location:
    /home/arthur/audio/music/rock-pop/the who - tommy (2003 sacd)/
  2. Reboot your NUC and verify if the same behavior occurs
  3. If the same behavior occurs, temporarily disconnect all your watches storage locations and reboot the NUC
  4. Verify if the NUC is starting up properly with no attached media storage

Can you give this a try and let me know how it goes?

Hey @noris, you’re a star remove that folder from the watched folder and hey presto the MacBook connects instantly and plays music. Analyse music is sitting a zero % complete and is throttled. So all well there too

Ok so what is it about that folder that was causing the issue? Duff file or what?

Thanks

Paul

Hi @weedos,

Glad to hear that since removing that folder things are working as expected :slight_smile: .

Yes, this seems to be a .DFF file issue, can you please send me an archive of that folder via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

I’d like to get this archive over to QA for closer inspection to hopefully prevent similar issues with this kind of media in the future.

@noris
Its uploading now on Firefox. Curious though as I have numerous other folders with ripped sacd tracks stored as dsf files. I would like to get it back into my library sometime so long as it isn’t corrupt.

I’d like to know what you find?

Thanks
Paul

Hi @weedos,

Thanks for uploading those files, when the upload is complete please do send it over. I should note that analysis of files such as your case do take a bit of time to complete. They are added to the queue but you may not see any immediate changes after the issue is identified. Either way, do send that over when you have a chance and I will forward to QA for closer inspection. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.